Old 19-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc.

Default [IBC] FW: [IBC] How not to treat a beginner

I'm an admitted newbie with 3 years experience.
Fortunately, I've had the advantage of attending numerous classes with Mr.
Walter Pall, Mr. Chase Rosade, and Mr. Jim Doyle.
All three gentlemen have an instinct about what to say to a newbie who
brings a stick-in-a-pot to one of their classes.
That's why all three of these gentlemen are "professionals".
They make it fun, educational, and best of all, they're considerate.
My first ficus probably looked horrible when I sat across from Jim, but his
soothing voice gently showed me what it took to create a bonsai.
Three years later, it still isn't a bonsai, but at least I have direction.
As we all know, Walter has a unique comical way of making a newbie's
pride-and-joy feel like something special.
A large JPN I brought to Walters class, looked much better when I left.

The bottom line is ...... "Be gentle on newbies"
Hacking their pride and joy into a stick with a single leaf on top, is
guaranteed to disillusion them.
And, once it's died (which it probably will), you'll never see them again.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg, Zone 7