Old 19-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Carl Rosner

Default [IBC] How to treat a beginner

Second Try - sorry about the blank

Hi Billy: That's why they have erasers on pencils!!! :0)

Our club met yesterday, 6/18/05. The newspaper publicity said that
experienced members would help those who brought in their trees with design
suggestions. Public welcome.
One non member came in with her little Ficus that had been keep
indoors because it was very leggy. The trunk was pencil size or smaller. I didn't
get close to the tree so I am not sure of the variety of Ficus. The club member
gave her back a stick with one leaf.

In the first place, the club memeber forgot that once he was a beginner, and that it was the people who welcomed him to bring his first puny tree to a club meeting that turned him on to Bonsai.

He also forgot about patience, and how important it is to share knowledge and the committment to helping others to learn and enjoy, in my estimation, one of the most rewarding hobbies a person can ever undertake.

The line below says it all!

? Help? e-mail

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Nina

I have this problem all the time with the "Bonsai Doctor" page; mostly
I get queries from newbies with their first tree, and I have to
struggle with how much to tell them about what bonsai is all about.
Usually their concern is keeping the tree alive, and they have little
interest in its future training: they assume what it looked like when
they bought it is what it will always look like- all they have to do is
water it and admire it. So generally, I just answer the question, and
as a last sentence say something about the ongoing nature of developing
a tree, and tell them to read a book on bonsai or join a local club.

Nina

Old 20-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Kitsune Miko

Nina,

Seeing your name attached to this thread gave me a
chuckle. Then to open and see you were talking in
your Bonsai Doctor voice made it even funnier. Yes,
we should be nice to newbies to encourage the art of
bonsai but to a certian degree thay are like a fungus
and keep growing. It is an on going treatment. The
cure is to get them hooked on the more consuming
disease of really doing bonsai (what ever that means).

Kits

--- Nina wrote:

I have this problem all the time with the "Bonsai
Doctor" page; mostly
I get queries from newbies with their first tree,
and I have to
struggle with how much to tell them about what
bonsai is all about.
Usually their concern is keeping the tree alive, and
they have little
interest in its future training: they assume what it
looked like when
they bought it is what it will always look like- all
they have to do is
water it and admire it. So generally, I just answer
the question, and
as a last sentence say something about the ongoing
nature of developing
a tree, and tell them to read a book on bonsai or
join a local club.

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott