Old 20-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Martha Fifield

Default [IBC] Organic treatment for fungus

With all this talk about funguses such as rust and root rot, I want to ask for organic alternatives for treatment. I have many butterflies in my garden and want to protect them and their caterpillars. Is there a safe and organic treatment someone can suggest for treating funguses such as rust and root rot, etc.?
Thanks!
Martha

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Carl Rosner

Martha:
I wont adress fungus treatments, but root rot treatment is best treated by preventing it! That is watch your watering procedures and don't use heavy soils. Here is my watering procedures, which I feel will prevent root rot...

Place a tooth pick or bamboo skewer into the soil (known as the Michael Persiano Pick) and do not water until the pick comes out almost damp to dry. Do not water a tree on a schedule. there are too many variables in when a tree needs watering.

Watering technique is very much related to the environmental conditions and placement of your tree. Michael Persiano has provided a time proven technique for determining when your tree requires water. The basic watering technique itself is this; first wet the surface of the 'soil'. This allows you to control the intensity and avoid the washing out that a heavier stream of water may cause. The purpose of this initial watering is to break the surface tension which tends to keep the water from penetrating down to the roots and deeper soil.

Once you have completed this initial watering, wait about 10 to 15 minute interval and then water again. You should water on to the soil until you see water spreading out under the pot. If you have the time wait another interval and water for the third time!

Good luck, and read some of the archives on soil mixtures...

Carl L. Rosner

Martha Fifield wrote:
With all this talk about funguses such as rust and root rot, I want to ask for organic alternatives for treatment. I have many butterflies in my garden and want to protect them and their caterpillars. Is there a safe and organic treatment someone can suggest for treating funguses such as rust and root rot, etc.?
Thanks!
Martha

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Jim Lewis

Martha Fifield wrote:
With all this talk about funguses such as rust and root
rot, I want to ask for organic alternatives for
treatment. I have many butterflies in my garden and want
to protect them and their caterpillars. Is there a safe
and organic treatment someone can suggest for treating
funguses such as rust and root rot, etc.? Thanks! Martha

There IS no chemical ("organic" or not) "cure" for root rot,
though lots of chemical companies will sell you something
for it if you ask. REPOT in clean soil.

Also, there are darned few treatment alternatives of any
kind for fugal problems that are available to Joe and Jane
Bonsaiest. (Pardon the grammar.)

On the so-called organic front, baking soda can be used for
some fungal diseases, according to the folks at Rodale (1
tsp baking soda and a few drops of soap dissolved in 2 qts
water. Spray on plants.).

Garlic, says Rodale, et. al, also "appears" to be a
fungicide as well as an insecticide (it also keeps witches
and vampires at bay!). Mix 5-10 cloves with 1 pint of water
in a blender, strain and spray on plants. (SHOOSH! That
would keep ME away from the tree!)

Anyway, take all that with the appropriate grain of salt.

The best fungal remedy is to keep your plants under
conditions in which nasty funguses will not survive.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Michael Persiano

Jim raises a good point: there is no cure. There is prevention: regulated watering, fast-draining soils, etc. The use of fungicide in a root rot cleaning procedure is at best a way to prevent new fungus from developing. Here again, once the fungicide dissipates, the tree is once again susceptible to disease.

However, trees with severe cases of root rot can be cured if caught in time. Cutting away the diseased root pad and repotting with fresh fast-draining soil are critical to saving any tree.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/pinebook.html

Old 20-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Steve wachs

Ortho Puts out Bordeax, which is Copper Sulphate. I have used it on azaleas withh root rot and I had success. I have used Safer Soap on some bugs like aphids and I used an ultra light oil spray for scale with success.I use alcohol in a spray bottle on cactus and succulents infested with mealy bugs. I also used this on trees. I dilute the alcohol. with water. Anything that kills bugs or fungus is dangerous , if not used properly. They are poisons and that's what they are intended for. just take proper precautions WITH ANY INSECTICIDES OR FUNGICIDES. Natural or chemical.
SteveW
Long Island NY