Old 04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Carol

Default [IBC] Azaleas and Acid Soil

Hello IBC'ers,
I've grown azaleas in New York without any problems, but after moving to
Maryland, a mid-Atlantic state, I find that some of the leaves on the
azaleas are turning yellow and dying. I read that this could be due to
the soil in this area which is not acidic. (The trees are healthy and
have flowered.) Since I cannot use rain water which is slightly acidic,
does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can increase the acidity of
the soil by amending it, perhaps with a commercial product?

With thanks,

Carol Schroeder
Maryland, zone 7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Alan Walker

I don't know why you couldn't use slightly acidic
rainwater. With our fast draining bonsai soils, the answer is not
in the soil mix. Acidic preferences by plants like azaleas just
means that they have inefficient root systems for delivering
nutrients. So, proper fertilization with any basic fertilizer
ought to do the trick.
Chlorosis also can reflect too much or too little water.
Chlorosis also can be a sign of iron deficiency, so you might
want to add a little chelated iron to your azaleas.
Cordially,
Alan Walker

Old 05-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Steven Wachs

Miracid is good fertilizer for Azaleas. It should help a bit with the soil

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Used coffee grounds.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH

Old 08-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Alan Walker

It's a waste of time/effort to try to regulate pH of
bonsai by soil amendments. If you have proper drainage, the pH
will change rapidly anyway. The way to regulate pH is through
fertilization. MiracleGro, MirAcid, most any commercial
fertilizer will do the job.

Alan Walker