Old 13-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Aquiles Marcano

Default [IBC] gummy leaves on azalea

I have an azalea that has been flowering all year around. This past month stopped flowering and I started prunning since it has developed a strong foliage that even though beautiful, compites somehow with the flowers. In the process of pruning I have noticed that some leaves have developed a kind of sticky substance that is annoying to touch. There are also some white tiny bugs that fly when disturbed but don't leave the tree and live in clusters. Some of the leaves have also began to get dirty which I believe is due to the sticky substance. I did some prunning but not as extensive as I have read and being taught should be done in azaleas after flowering. The tree has been in a glass covered patio for six years, very lighted with partially indirect sunlight, even though depending of the time of the year, gets some direct sun light thru the glass roof.
The tree is 60 cm. high (2 ft), some 75 cm. wide (3ft) with a canopy resembling broom style rather flatter. An 8 cm thick trunk (3" plus). By the way in this interior patio I have the trees I most like and some other tropical companion plants.
Location: Caracas at 1300 meters of altitude (some 3900 plus ft) average temperature 20C
Story told, some advice? Should I prune it radically? Anything about the sticky gummy stuff? and/or the white tiny bugs?
Thanks for your time
Aquiles Marcano

---------------------------------

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Jim Lewis

Aquiles Marcano wrote:
[...]

You have aphids or whitefly, or even mealy bug -- all can
match your description, and all excrete "honeydew" (the
sticky stuff), which causes "sooty mold" (the dirty leaves).
They all suck the sap from stems or leaves, making the
tree weak.

Aphids, whitefly, or to a lesser extent, mealybug can be
controlled by a very hard spray of water every week or so.
A soap spray weekly or a spray containing Pyrethrins as
necessary works well on all three. Spray upper and lower
surfaces of leaves. The black on the leaves can be washed off.

You MUST keep your azalea outside, give them plenty of space
so fresh air can circulate around them well, and give
_almost_ full sun.

Azalea are NOT tropical plants and will decline if kept
indoors -- even in a glassed in porch. They need FRESH,
circulating air and more humidity than is typically
available where people feel comfortable.

They certainly will get more pests under the conditions you
describe.

So I repeat: They should be outside.

The year-round bloom _may_ also be weakening your tree.
They do need a rest from the energy expended in creating
buds. And azalea also need a short period of cold (or at
least very cool) dormancy.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Tiziano

Jim Lewis wrote:

The year-round bloom _may_ also be weakening your tree. They do need a
rest from the energy expended in creating buds. And azalea also need a
short period of cold (or at least very cool) dormancy.

I agree with all Jim said ,I have few Azaleas since
many years and are kept as Jim says.. one more thing , they
need acidic soil so sometimes to time some iron will help
Azaleas belong Rhododendrums family and withstand cold very
well

keep them in mid sun only when are flowering
Tiziano