Old 24-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Azalea - HELP! Brown edges on flowers and leaves!!!

Hi all

I have a passion for azaleas but somehow they do not seem to survive with me. I recently bought a one lovely bicoloured azalea ( house plant in a pot) which i simply adore, I recreated its conditions to my best ability, indirect sun, water ( standing after a boil) and fertilize.
However, a few weeks ago its edges started to brown, and this appeared not only on the older flowers but on the new blooms that have not opened yet. At first i thought it was a drainage problem and reading up on the internet I stopped watering it too much , but it seems not have worked as the leaves started to look "sad". So then I started to water it plenty again and has done a "full submersion" in the water - no change.

Nothing seems to work and its just going worse and worse and worse....

I also noticed something on the bottom of the leaf when i bought it and here is a picture.

And here what it looked like when i bought it.

If anyone can help me, please , as I love it and do not want to to die.
Old 24-10-2011, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Azalea - HELP! Brown edges on flowers and leaves!!!

On 10/24/11 7:53 AM, Anya wrote:
Hi all

I have a passion for azaleas but somehow they do not seem to survive
with me. I recently bought a one lovely bicoloured azalea ( house plant
in a pot) which i simply adore, I recreated its conditions to my best
ability, indirect sun, water ( standing after a boil) and fertilize.
However, a few weeks ago its edges started to brown, and this appeared
not only on the older flowers but on the new blooms that have not opened
yet. At first i thought it was a drainage problem and reading up on the
internet I stopped watering it too much , but it seems not have worked
as the leaves started to look "sad". So then I started to water it
plenty again and has done a "full submersion" in the water - no change.

Nothing seems to work and its just going worse and worse and worse....

[image:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0266.jpg]
[image:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0265.jpg]
[image:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0267.jpg]
[image:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0270.jpg]

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0247.jpg]

And here what it looked like when i bought it.

[image:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMG_0244.jpg]

If anyone can help me, please , as I love it and do not want to to die.

You might be over-watering, over-feeding, or both. Azaleas need soil
that is always moist but never wet. They are "light feeders";
commercial azalea food releases nutrients very slowly. I feed mine in
the ground only once each year.

Another problem for azaleas as house plants is that they need more
humidity than is normally found indoors. Try placing your pots on a
large tray filled with pea gravel. Add water to the tray to a level
just below the bottoms of the pots.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 25-10-2011, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 24, 7:53*am, Anya wrote:
Hi all

I have a passion for azaleas but somehow they do not seem to survive
with me. I recently bought a one lovely bicoloured azalea ( house plant
in a pot) which i simply adore...

... its just going worse and worse and worse....

If anyone can help me, please , as I love it and do not want to to die.

might want to send your question/pics to these folks:
http://azaleas.org/askus.html

If not you can try to diagnose on your own he
http://azaleas.org/azdiagnose.html
and he
http://azaleas.org/azdiseasestoc.html

Its been my experience that most " houseplants in a pot" azaleas are
subject to many problems by the nursery's production techniques and
forcing them to bloom before sale, especially with phytophthora root
rot.

good luck