Old 19-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Tekmanx

Default Transporting Bonsai

I'm VERY new to this hobby and have a few cuttings/seed growing right
now. Thing is, I'm moving back home to the Bahamas in about two months
when I'm done with school here in Florida. Has anyone had problems
carrying their Bonsai plant through the airport? Will they tell me I
can't carry it through then dump my Bonsai in a waste bin? No!!! Let me
know if you guys have any experience with this. I'll wrap the roots of
these trees in cloth with soil if I have to, or better yet, let me know
if you guys have a better method of transport other than the cloth n'
soil thing I just mentioned.

Tekmanx
- Zone 25 (Florida/Bahamas)

Old 19-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Jim Lewis

Tekmanx wrote:
I'm VERY new to this hobby and have a few cuttings/seed growing right
now. Thing is, I'm moving back home to the Bahamas in about two months
when I'm done with school here in Florida. Has anyone had problems
carrying their Bonsai plant through the airport? Will they tell me I
can't carry it through then dump my Bonsai in a waste bin? No!!! Let me
know if you guys have any experience with this. I'll wrap the roots of
these trees in cloth with soil if I have to, or better yet, let me know
if you guys have a better method of transport other than the cloth n'
soil thing I just mentioned.

It's not that simple.

You need to check with the government of the Bahamas. There
often are many complex, complicated, and convoluted (and
sometimes expensive) steps needed to get the permit to bring
plants into a country (sometimes, even, a state) where they
are not native -- or were not propagated.

Assuming from many of your messages the state of your
plants, I'd suggest that it isn't worth the money or effort
or time that would be required to get the necessary import
permits. Chalk what you have done (and learned) about
plants here down to experience, plant your little plants in
a yard somewhere, and start again when you are home.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Layne

What you have to do is find out what the importation laws are
regarding plants. Certain jurisdictions have very stringent rules
regarding the importation of plants due to pests traveling on the
plants or pathogens in the soil. You may be able to ship them or fly
with them, but they could be held up in customs and/or quarantined. My
father and his bonsai buddies used to travel to the neighbor islands
(Hawaii) all the time to collect plants. They'd dig them up, spray the
roots with water, wrap them in plastic and box them for the trip back.
Traveling island to island is no problem...no customs and no Dept. of
Ag. to get through. You may need a permit and other documents from
your government approving of the shipment of plants. Some plants may
be considered invasive by your government.

I'd suggest getting all the documents in order, water your plants a
day or two before shipping and wrap the roots in plastic and tie the
plastic around the trunk to seal off moisture loss. If you can just
leave the plants in the pots. If however, your government has
restrictions on importing soil you'll have to unpot your plants and
wash off any soil then add a soilless mix like moist peat to the
plastic bag like above. It might be best to ship your plants a day or
so ahead of your flight via UPS or FedEx if possible.

This is about all the help I can give on the matter.

Good luck.

Layne

Old 28-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Michael Persiano

Importing bonsai is no joke these days. You will need to contact the US Department of Agriculture and be prepared to go through at lot to be approved to receive a permit and approval to quarantine a tree.

The fines can be quite heavy if an individual is caught illegally shipping trees into the US.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

[...]

[IBC] Transporting Bonsai Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 28-07-2005 10:46 PM
Transporting Koi ciel Ponds 17 28-07-2004 09:03 AM
[IBC] transporting succulents and cacti Craig Cowing Bonsai 8 26-07-2004 03:03 AM
Transporting goldfish JGW Ponds 2 05-08-2003 04:21 AM
Transporting House Plant Cross Country Hobbs Gardening 3 18-03-2003 02:32 PM