Old 09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Scale Help

Hi Batr and all IBC'ers:

I assume you are asking because of an infestation of Scale. I think the
best solution is not getting them in the first place. ;-)

Seriously, I used to have an oscilating fan blowing above the plants to
move air around, but I found out by experimentation that the plants have
less infestation of any sort (in my tree/green house) if the fan, while
oscilating blows directly on the trees,

Best regards,

Carl L. Rosner

Bart Thomas wrote:

I have been all over the net looking for solution to problems of scale
infestation.

So far, the most comprehensive statement I have found is in an article by
Carolyn Carver (Jim Moody's daughter) at the ABS site:

http://www.absbonsai.org/training/training.html

Are there any effective treatments out there? How about systemics?

Thanks.

Bart Thomas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Sean Nemecek

Bart,

A few months ago I aquired a tree that was massively infested with scale. I
used a solution that I heard of from this group. Here is what I did:

1. Removed all visible scale from the tree using tweezers. (took 3
hours).

2. Treated with a homemade insecticide.
2 Tablespoons vegitable oil
2 Tablespoons dishwashing soap
1 Gallon water
add 2 teaspoons of rubbing alchohol just before application.
Spray on tree.

3. Repeat treatment 10 days later.

I haven't seen any scale since. By the way, it also works for white fly,
fungus gnats, and many kinds of aphids.

A couple of my Ficus lost their leaves after treatment but the rest of the
Ficus and the rest of my trees do not have any side effects.

Hope this helps,
Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"When growth ceases decay begins."

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Jim Lewis

I have been all over the net looking for solution to problems
of scale
infestation.

So far, the most comprehensive statement I have found is in an

article by
Carolyn Carver (Jim Moody's daughter) at the ABS site:

http://www.absbonsai.org/training/training.html

Are there any effective treatments out there? How about

systemics?

Thanks.

Bart Thomas

Bart, Carl and Sean have both given you excellent advice, though
I think Carl's is the most valuable in the long term.

Indoor (and that includes greenhouse) plants will have many, many
more sucking insect problems than trees grown outdoors. This is
primarily because of the lack of fresh air and air movement
(which, of course) are the same thing).

There's no magic bullet. If the trees must be indoors, the
_preventative_ solutions will include a fan that gives a hefty
breeze, a very clean growing environment (no soil residue on the
benches, no dead leaf litter, etc.) and fewer trees (which means
less crowded conditions). This will NOT prevent infestations,
but it will cut them way back.

Horticultural oil OR insecticidal soap will kill young scale;
nothing much really touches the adults. Systemics don't seem to
work well, either, in my experience. Hand pick the adults.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 09-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Daniel Avrin

For immediate relief from scale insects, remove as much as possible
physically, then dose with insecticidal soap. The soap should be applied at
least three times, three days apart to get new generations of sucking
insects. Then apply a systemic insecticide to the soil for long term relief.
I have used this method successfully for years now. Catching an infestation
early can help as will partial or total leaf defoliation if the species can
handle it.

Best Regards,
Dan Avrin
Caught between Iraq and a hard place.