Old 11-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Mark

Default Avocado in Zone 6

Are there any hardy varieties of avocado that might do well in Zone 6
(USA)? I remember as a kid when Mom would start avocado plants from
seed, but I don't remember them ever actually growing or producing any
fruit.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Peter G

I doubt it. Avocado is not a hardy plant. If forst bites avocado trees
farmers lose harvest for two years (you lose the flower, and the fruit and
it can take up to 18 months for the fruit to ripen so a tree may have more
than two generations of fruit in various stages of maturing). That is why
orchard owners hire helicopters on cold nights to blow away the cold air.
Peter G.
Thousand Oak, CA

om...

Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Otto Jones

temperatures below freezing will kill the tree. There are no frost/freeze
resistant varieties. It should be considered a zone10 plant, though some do
survive in protected areas in 9b.
om...

Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
[IBC] Moving to San Gabriel Mountains Outside LA from zone 6-7 NEW YORK CITY to zone 8-9 Ben Griffin Bonsai 7 05-07-2004 11:03 PM
Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b Laurie Gardening 28 29-02-2004 06:45 PM
Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b Laurie Gardening 0 28-02-2004 06:38 PM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM