Old 15-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Max Caviar

Default Hot Peppers - Indeterminate or Determinate ??

Are hot/chile peppers classified in these terms or is that only a
tomoato thing? And while I'm on the subject, does indeterminate merely
mean that it will reproduce through one growing season, or also that it
is an annual which will carry over through more than 1 season?

Growing habaneros (red savina), jalapenos and seranos and am wondering
what to expect.

Old 15-09-2005, 01:57 AM
TQ

"Max Caviar" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are hot/chile peppers classified in these terms or is that only a
tomoato thing? And while I'm on the subject, does indeterminate merely
mean that it will reproduce through one growing season, or also that it
is an annual which will carry over through more than 1 season?

Growing habaneros (red savina), jalapenos and seranos and am wondering
what to expect.

Indeterminant/determinant relate to vine-type plants with tomato being one
example. Indeterminant means the vine will continue to grow whereas a
determinant vine grows to a certain length then stops.

Old 15-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 14 Sep 2005 17:08:14 -0700, "Max Caviar"
wrote:

Growing habaneros (red savina), jalapenos and seranos and am wondering
what to expect.

Expect a lot of peppers, those are prolific varieties!

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 16-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Jon Shemitz

Max Caviar wrote:

an annual which will carry over through more than 1 season?

Growing habaneros (red savina), jalapenos and seranos and am wondering
what to expect.

From personal experience, habaneros and serranos can overwinter and
fruit strongly in subsequent years. (I have a prolific, ten year old
serrano.) No personal experience with jalapenos.

Keep them from freezing or drying out over the winter, then trim
severely at the first sign of new growth in the spring. "Severely" as
in down to the first bud above the root. Old roots are good; old wood
is bad.

--

www.midnightbeach.com
Old 17-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Caviar
Are hot/chile peppers classified in these terms or is that only a
tomoato thing? And while I'm on the subject, does indeterminate merely
mean that it will reproduce through one growing season, or also that it
is an annual which will carry over through more than 1 season?

Growing habaneros (red savina), jalapenos and seranos and am wondering
what to expect.
Hi, the chillis you have are red hot, the hottest of the bunch. Clip them at the end of the season and keep warm over winter do not over water and they will produce earlier and more.
http://www.chileseeds.co.uk

Old 19-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Max Caviar

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm in Zone 23 so I'm assuming
freezing won't be too much of a problem. But the Red Savina is
unfortunately just getting going at this late date.

Jon Shemitz wrote:
Max Caviar wrote:

an annual which will carry over through more than 1 season?

Growing habaneros (red savina), jalapenos and seranos and am wondering
what to expect.

From personal experience, habaneros and serranos can overwinter and
fruit strongly in subsequent years. (I have a prolific, ten year old
serrano.) No personal experience with jalapenos.

Keep them from freezing or drying out over the winter, then trim
severely at the first sign of new growth in the spring. "Severely" as
in down to the first bud above the root. Old roots are good; old wood
is bad.

--

www.midnightbeach.com

Growing determinate tomatoes. BobHobden United Kingdom 1 04-06-2016 12:04 AM
Tomatoes Determinate and Indeterminate, Bush or Vine Jeff Thies Edible Gardening 4 02-06-2010 07:18 PM
Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Isn't Patio a determinate Mike S. Gardening 1 06-05-2007 02:24 PM