Old 18-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Kenneth

Default No red Jalapeņos...?

Howdy,

I grew some Jalapeņos, and they did well: shiny green,
plump, well formed, with a great taste.

Today, I noticed one that I had missed: Bright red, shiny,
and plump.

I tasted it, and it was great. It had a sweet initial taste
followed by the familiar heat.

And so this question:

Why do I never see red Jalapeņos in stores?

Thanks for any comments,
--
Kenneth

Old 18-09-2005, 03:23 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:15:26 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

Why do I never see red Jalapeņos in stores?

1. It takes longer to get a pepper to market if you wait until
it's ripe.

2. Ripe peppers won't hold as long as the green ones.

3. Consumers have been duped into believing that green is the
correct stage to eat a pepper, just as they buy those tasteless
orangey-red things they call tomatoes, or consider thin, watery
beer good.

There are a few peppers that are best harvested green, but the
vast majority are so much more flavorful ripe.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 18-09-2005, 11:21 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Kenneth wrote:

Howdy,

I grew some Jalapeņos, and they did well: shiny green,
plump, well formed, with a great taste.

Today, I noticed one that I had missed: Bright red, shiny,
and plump.

I tasted it, and it was great. It had a sweet initial taste
followed by the familiar heat.

And so this question:

Why do I never see red Jalapeņos in stores?

Thanks for any comments,

That's a good question. :-)
I prefer them red also.

If I do get green ones from the store and let them ripen for a few days
at room temp, they will also turn red.

My pet cockatoo prefers them ripe as well! She loves jalapenos...

When I grow peppers, I never pick them green.

Cheers!
--
Om.

mild jalapeņos rose Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 01:12 AM
mild jalapeņos Loki Edible Gardening 0 07-02-2004 08:34 PM
mild jalapeņos Loki Edible Gardening 0 07-02-2004 08:33 PM
mild jalapeņos Bill Moats Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2004 06:38 PM
Growing Jalapenos swimcoach Edible Gardening 5 12-06-2003 02:20 AM