Old 29-09-2005, 12:37 AM
shazzbat

Default The power of the rain

I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Steve

Old 29-09-2005, 03:06 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"shazzbat" wrote:

I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Steve

Good lord! ;-)
Well, I'd just cook them up and freeze any extra...
--
Om.

Old 29-09-2005, 01:27 PM
DrLith

shazzbat wrote:
I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Too bad they can't shed their skins when they outgrow them, like lizards!
Old 30-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Steve

shazzbat wrote:

I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Steve

Well that's the first time I've ever seen that happen! Tomatoes and
cabbages will do that, but usually not squash. I wonder if that one kind
of squash is prone to doing that?

Steve
Old 30-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Steve said:

shazzbat wrote:

I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Well that's the first time I've ever seen that happen! Tomatoes and
cabbages will do that, but usually not squash. I wonder if that one kind
of squash is prone to doing that?

Watermelons will split like that, too. But I've never seen squashes do
tha, and I've tried a lot of different varieties. (The only subset I've
never tried has been spaghettie squash.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
David Hare-Scott

"shazzbat" wrote in message
I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this

is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Steve

9mm is only a shower, this seems odd to me to be the only cause.

David

Old 01-10-2005, 02:19 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message
I had a vivid lesson today in what the rain can do to one's crops. After
several weeks of little or no rain, we had 9mm early this week, and this

is
what it did to my squashes which were still on the plant.

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=35209879

Impressive, no? They were all right on Saturday.

Steve

9mm is only a shower, this seems odd to me to be the only cause.

David

What else would/could cause that???
--
Om.