Old 03-12-2005, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farmer Joe

Default Brussel sprout crisis

I had to pull up my brussel sprout plants since it was about 10 wind
chill here close to St. Louis. I dug 6 up with roots. Now they are
in my basement with a florescent light. The sprouts are about 1/2 to
3/4 mature. Can I get them to keep growing or should I just harvest
them now? Educate me. Thanks Joe Mc

Old 04-12-2005, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Farmer Joe" wrote:

I had to pull up my brussel sprout plants since it was about 10 wind
chill here close to St. Louis. I dug 6 up with roots. Now they are
in my basement with a florescent light. The sprouts are about 1/2 to
3/4 mature. Can I get them to keep growing or should I just harvest
them now? Educate me. Thanks Joe Mc

What was the actual temperature?
Wind chill temperature means nothing to plants. No matter how strong
the wind blows, the temperature of the air outside does not change. If
the air temperature is above 0ºC (32ºF), plants will not freeze.
In addition, Brussels' sprouts can withstand frost, in fact, most
growers feel they only achieve their finest flavour after a couple of
frosts.
In your case, since Brussels' sprouts are fairly high water users, I
think you'll be hard pressed to keep them growing now that you've
disturbed the root system. IMO, you might as well harvest them now
before they start to wither and dry out in your relatively warm and
dry basement.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

wrote:
"Farmer Joe" wrote:

[...]

I agree Ross. Farmer Joe should pick them off the plant and get them
into the refrigerator.
Joe, how are you judging them to be half mature? By their size? The
bottom sprouts size up first and get smaller farther up the stalk. All
sizes are quite edible as long as they are big enough to have something
firm inside.

Steve
Old 06-12-2005, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farmer Joe

Thanks guys:
They have already had their frosts. The temp was about 20 when I
pulled 'em out and they were freezing under my hoop igllos and bed
sheets. The sprouts didn't seem to necessarily be larger on the
bottom of the stalk at all. I am a rookie B.Sprouter. They are in
my basement sink for now and I hope to do better next year. Thanks