Old 13-11-2003, 03:02 PM
John Towill

Default Confused Brussel Sprout?

I know that the tops of sprout plants can be eaten like cabbage, but one of
mine has formed a large hard cabbage head on the top. I have never seen
this before, is it unusual?
Cheers
John T

Old 13-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Mary Fisher

"John Towill" wrote in message
I know that the tops of sprout plants can be eaten like cabbage, but one

of
mine has formed a large hard cabbage head on the top. I have never seen
this before, is it unusual?

No idea. I wondered that last year when one of ours did it.

We ate it.

Mary

Cheers
John T

Old 13-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , John Towill
writes
I know that the tops of sprout plants can be eaten like cabbage, but one of
mine has formed a large hard cabbage head on the top. I have never seen
this before, is it unusual?

Sprout tops make very good greens for the kitchen but we have always
waited until the sprouts have been picked before taking them. Your
unusual top growth could be some kind of unintended hybridisation, or it
could be because milder than average autumn temperatures have encouraged
extra growth. Whatever the reason, the greens should be safely edible.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 13-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Ophelia

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , John Towill
writes
I know that the tops of sprout plants can be eaten like cabbage, but one

of
mine has formed a large hard cabbage head on the top. I have never seen
this before, is it unusual?

Sprout tops make very good greens for the kitchen but we have always
waited until the sprouts have been picked before taking them. Your
unusual top growth could be some kind of unintended hybridisation, or it
could be because milder than average autumn temperatures have encouraged
extra growth. Whatever the reason, the greens should be safely edible.

We always used to eat them with great pleasure and we are still here

Ophelia

Old 14-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Bob Hobden

"John wrote in message ...
I know that the tops of sprout plants can be eaten like cabbage, but one

of
mine has formed a large hard cabbage head on the top. I have never seen
this before, is it unusual?

We had one do that last year, few sprouts and they were rather small so it
looked like a football on a stick, or lollypop, strange. I assumed it was
something in the F1 cross procedure that went wrong, perhaps an F2.
Didn't eat it, too much else to consume, sprouts, winter cabbage, winter
caulis, savoys and all the stuff we froze in the summer.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 14-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Steve Harris

My Rubine sprouts are confused another way. They just look like cabbage
plants with leaves all the way up the stem. No sign of sprouts.

Old 14-11-2003, 12:02 PM
shazzbat

"John Towill" wrote in message
I know that the tops of sprout plants can be eaten like cabbage, but one

of
mine has formed a large hard cabbage head on the top. I have never seen
this before, is it unusual?
Cheers
John T

I'm glad you asked that, because one of ours is also doing it. I mean one
variety, we've got 3 or 4 plants each of 3 different varieties and only one
variety is doing it. Trouble is I lost the labels for the varieties :-((

We're planning to eat the heads anyway, which are now nearly fist sized,
after the sprouts are gone. So thanks everyone.

Steve