Old 04-12-2005, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Default What should you plant after garlic?

It was too late to plant tomatoes or peppers after harvesting garlic.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

"James" wrote:

It was too late to plant tomatoes or peppers after harvesting garlic.

Where are you, that you're still talking about planting?
Having said that, I can get a fall greens crop in the former garlic bed.
Rapini, Bok Choi, stuff like that.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

bok choi is just ideal around here (Zone 5.5). Have the seedlings
ready, pull the garlic, fertilize, plant and water as the sun sets. Bok
choi likes it more alkaline than garlic, so add a little wood ash in
the fertilizer.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

I was thinking of next year. I just planted 2/3 of my plot in elephant
garlic.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:48:46 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

"James" wrote:

It was too late to plant tomatoes or peppers after harvesting garlic.

Where are you, that you're still talking about planting?
Having said that, I can get a fall greens crop in the former garlic bed.
Rapini, Bok Choi, stuff like that.

When did you plant those? We planted kale and collards on Aug 7, and
they're only about 6-8" tall. Only the radishes made it. (Same zone,
Syracuse.)

Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

That is why you should go with bok choi, which is very quick, specially
a certain hybrid which is rated at 45 days. Collards in August is too
late. Kale might make it. As Gary said, rapini will definitely make it.
As for all greens, quick growth follows plenty of water and frequent
high-N fertilizing. All of them like a higher pH than garlic. I keep
some wood ash from the winter into august so I can start the last fall
greens properly.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

"James" wrote:

I just planted 2/3 of my plot in elephant
garlic.

Whatever for?

Sorry; my personal preference. Elephant garlic isn't reliably hardy for me
unless I put a thick mulch over it, and the finished produce is, well, like
kissing your sister. But it certainly is impressive, if the market is the
objective.

I now have a 4" white mulch over the garlic bed; just lovely!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Mild enough to munch on raw. Just can't eat it before parties because
it really makes me fart for hours after.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

"James" wrote:

Just can't eat it before parties because
it really makes me fart for hours after.

You're sounding like that's a _bad_ thing!

Sorry; it's a guy thing. I admit it.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

smells like roasted garlic.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

Now that this thread has gone downhill...

Doesn't make me gaseous, but we have noticed that after eating a lot of
garlic, our dreams are very vivid and very bizarre.

Anyone else notice that?

John!

smells like roasted garlic.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4 Dec 2005 09:36:33 -0800, "James" wrote:

It was too late to plant tomatoes or peppers after harvesting garlic.

I usually plant garlic in October and pull it in July. Plenty of time
to get a pepper crop (as long as the seedlings are well
established...over 8" tall). I usually get peppers by early
September, and this is a zone 5 microclimate in NJ.

By the way, you'll get hot peppers (up to New mexican & ananheims) a
lot faster than bell peppers. Bell peppers seem to take forever.

Dan

Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I agree. You get some generic, stiffneck spanish roja and that stuff
is great around here....'course, I put about 500 lbs of compost into
the dirt every year Elephant garlic was a big disappointment,
same with softneck varieties.

And by the way, garlic is at $2.99 / lb around here I've still got
4 braids to go.

Dan

Old 11-12-2005, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Would half rotten tree leaves work? I have access to shreaded leaves
but no green stuff.

Question on dreams. Was it a garlic dish with mushrooms?

Should the soil be compacted after seeding grass? james[_2_] Lawns 1 18-04-2010 04:19 PM
Do the rest of you gardeners ever feel like kicking back after you get done in the yard? Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 8 06-03-2009 06:02 PM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic After the Foliage Fall [email protected] Gardening 3 09-07-2006 03:22 PM
where should I start, after "MiniFAQ # 048" ??? ... Lise Plant Science 4 24-05-2005 09:21 AM