Old 20-12-2005, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default Xmas dinner

So, what will you be eating that you grew?

I'll be going down to the allotment Saturday morning and dig up parsnips and
leeks, and pick sprouts and curly kale.

Plus beans (broad and runner), spuds and carrots already harvested.

No livestock allowed on our plots or I'd have grown a turkey :-))

Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are about
food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on Channel 5 (UK).

Happy Christmas everybody.

Steve

Old 20-12-2005, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 20/12/05 13:00, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

So, what will you be eating that you grew?

I'll be going down to the allotment Saturday morning and dig up parsnips and
leeks, and pick sprouts and curly kale.

Plus beans (broad and runner), spuds and carrots already harvested.

No livestock allowed on our plots or I'd have grown a turkey :-))

Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are about
food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on Channel 5 (UK).

Happy Christmas everybody.

What a coincidence! Ray was just saying at lunch that Geoff Hamilton and
his brother used to have a competition each year. The competition was to
see how many veg they could cook for Christmas lunch that they had grown
themselves. Ray doesn't recall who the winner was but thinks the final
number (including home grown and frozen) was 14. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-12-2005, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
aem

shazzbat wrote:
So, what will you be eating that you grew?

Xmas dinner is Chinese this year. But the day before or the day after
we'll have lettuces and snowpeas in a salad. Broccoli, steamed and
finished with sliced garlic in olive oil. Maybe beet greens or
beetroots or both, maybe not, haven't decided. -aem

Old 20-12-2005, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

shazzbat wrote:
So, what will you be eating that you grew?

I'll be going down to the allotment Saturday morning and dig up
parsnips and leeks, and pick sprouts and curly kale.

Plus beans (broad and runner), spuds and carrots already harvested.

No livestock allowed on our plots or I'd have grown a turkey :-))

Only sprouts for me this year, maybe an onion in the stuffing too,
everything else will be shop bought, but those sprouts will taste extra
special to me as they're one of the first crops of anything I've had worth
eating.

Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are
about food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on
Channel 5 (UK).

Woohoo! I always enjoy those, although ISTR them being on C4?

Happy Christmas everybody.

Steve

You too.

Old 20-12-2005, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
GA Pinhead

Does homegrown pork count?

John!

Old 20-12-2005, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

GA Pinhead wrote:
Does homegrown pork count?

John!

Of course! from experience I can honestly say that it is much better than
the supermarket stuff.

Old 21-12-2005, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
Salmon Egg

On 12/20/05 12:22 PM, in article
, "GA Pinhead"
wrote:

Does homegrown pork count?

John!

I suppose. But you would have to start with a smart pig and train it a lot.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Old 21-12-2005, 10:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
tahiri

Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are
about food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on
Channel 5 (UK).

Woohoo! I always enjoy those, although ISTR them being on C4?

They were! Channel 4 being a regional transmitter you then had to search the
small print to find out when they were on S4C about a week later. Now they
have moved to another channel which does NOT have national coverage ( and
never intends to ) so I shan't be able to watch them at all - boo hiss
grumble grumble.
T.

Old 22-12-2005, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
Kathy

Nothing's growing here in southern Idaho except for a little bit of
cilantro under two inches of snow. But we'll have squash soup for
dinner and sugar snap peas to go with the roast chicken. We might have
enough lettuce growing in the washbasin on the porch for a salad. And
there will be strawberries that we put up last June for Christmas
morning.

Old 22-12-2005, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"tahiri" wrote in message

Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are
about food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on
Channel 5 (UK).

Woohoo! I always enjoy those, although ISTR them being on C4?

They were! Channel 4 being a regional transmitter you then had to search
the
small print to find out when they were on S4C about a week later. Now they
have moved to another channel which does NOT have national coverage ( and
never intends to ) so I shan't be able to watch them at all - boo hiss
grumble grumble.
T.

It is bloody annoying isn't it? I long for the days when it was on the
Beeb.

Steve

Xmas dinner shazzbat United Kingdom 10 22-12-2005 12:21 PM
Getting Ready For Dinner Daryl S. Kabatoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 23-02-2004 02:48 AM
Broiled Urglers for Dinner? Or Baked? Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 8 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
New ag forum: "The Truth Behind Your Dinner" Michael Milligan sci.agriculture 0 08-05-2003 06:44 PM