Old 07-01-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

Default Planting for Privacy Screening

"Anthony B" wrote in message

"J.R. in MI" wrote in message
oups.com...
Keep that Spearmint well contained or you'll have no room for anything
else in a short time. It sends runners several inches below ground
that can pop up many feet away. It is probably impossible to remove by
pulling once established.

Planting spearmint in a large pot in the ground works pretty well. And
out of the ground for that matter.

I have had no luck with spearmint in a pot. Our old house had spearmint, and
I am familiar with its invasive nature. At our old place, I'd rip out every
last bit of spearmint in the fall, and we'd have as much spearmint as I'd
ever want the next spring. I still really liked having spearmint
nonetheless, and use it for cooking.

I've planted spearmint now in a spot where the soil is very poor, and it is
surrounded by concrete on three sides. Nothing wants to grow there, except a
very ugly juniper I'd probably rip out if it wasn't the only green thing
that has survived on that plot. I've worked in compost every year and even
so, there's very little that seems to want to be there long term. This year
I stuck spearmint on it, on the theory that it would be more or less
contained by the concrete, and nothing else is growing there, anyway.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/