Old 17-01-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

Default Blackberries in a container garden?

Has anyone been successful growing blackberries in large tubs or half
barrels? If so, what varieties do best? I am zone 6.

Thanks for any ideas.

Boron
Old 18-01-2006, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Newport

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:58:48 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

Has anyone been successful growing blackberries in large tubs or half
barrels? If so, what varieties do best? I am zone 6.
Thanks for any ideas.
Boron

Can't help with the answer but I have exactly the same question.
However, we have bought a blackberry - it just says its a bramble -
doesn't give any more specific details about its type. Also, sorry,
newbee question, what's zone 6?
Old 18-01-2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

wrote:

Has anyone been successful growing blackberries in large tubs or half
barrels? If so, what varieties do best? I am zone 6.
Thanks for any ideas.
Boron

Can't help with the answer but I have exactly the same question.
However, we have bought a blackberry - it just says its a bramble -
doesn't give any more specific details about its type. Also, sorry,
newbee question, what's zone 6?

Sorry about the zone mentions..here in the US, the entire country has
been designated with a number, by, IIRC, the US Dept of Agriculture.
When buying perennials, they are categorized by these zones. This way,
someone will not wind up buying a tender shrub which will thrive in a
mild climate, but fail to make it through a harsh winter.

Here is the map for my state.

http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=NJ

Boron
Old 18-01-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Newport

Sorry about the zone mentions..here in the US, the entire country has
been designated with a number, by, IIRC, the US Dept of Agriculture.
When buying perennials, they are categorized by these zones. This way,
someone will not wind up buying a tender shrub which will thrive in a
mild climate, but fail to make it through a harsh winter.

Here is the map for my state.

http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=NJ

Boron

Thanks. Interesting.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Boron Elgar wrote:
Has anyone been successful growing blackberries in large tubs or half
barrels? If so, what varieties do best? I am zone 6.

Thanks for any ideas.

Boron

Since you got no other bites, my .02 say it is a bad idea. Brambles
just require too much space. Unless you could put a large trellis
behind the tub, train them, then water them diligently. Still, if you
only have tubs, I'd put them to more productive use. With brambles
you'd get a pound of berries out of a container that will give you ten
pounds of other things.

Old 19-01-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

On 18 Jan 2006 16:30:11 -0800, "simy1" wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
Has anyone been successful growing blackberries in large tubs or half
barrels? If so, what varieties do best? I am zone 6.

Thanks for any ideas.

Boron

Since you got no other bites, my .02 say it is a bad idea. Brambles
just require too much space. Unless you could put a large trellis
behind the tub, train them, then water them diligently. Still, if you
only have tubs, I'd put them to more productive use. With brambles
you'd get a pound of berries out of a container that will give you ten
pounds of other things.

Sigh...that is pretty much the conclusion to which I came. Still, the
plants are cheap, and I have a big barrel that I can fill with
compost. What the heck...

Boron

Old 19-01-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

how about melons? This year I am trying the Galia (green inside, cool
season). And they love compost and have taproots that go all the way
down the barrel.

Old 19-01-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger

Boron Elgar wrote:
Steve Newport wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

I am zone 6.

Also, sorry, newbee question, what's zone 6?

Sorry about the zone mentions..here in the US, the entire country has
been designated with a number, by, IIRC, the US Dept of Agriculture.
When buying perennials, they are categorized by these zones. This way,
someone will not wind up buying a tender shrub which will thrive in a
mild climate, but fail to make it through a harsh winter.

Here is the map for my state.
http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=NJ

I've seen similar maps for the European continent posted here in
the last year. I suspect that most of the world has such maps
available somewhere. Having zones that work across a continent
is very usefull. Having them work worldwide would be even better.

I'm in zone 5b suburban Chicago. This spring I plan on starting
some European billberries. Since blueberries and blackberries
will grow here I figure their European kin should also. Still
undecided ground or container, though. Open to suggestions
and following this thread because of the similarity.

Old 20-01-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

On 19 Jan 2006 07:49:01 -0800, "Doug Freyburger"
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
Steve Newport wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

I am zone 6.

[...]

I would not hesitate to grow blueberries in a container, as long as it
was winter protected, as they are compact & bushy, but the
blackberries fruit on new canes & I do not know what will happen in a
container. Still it is worth a 10 dollar experiment to find out.

Boron

blackberries ian United Kingdom 7 17-04-2003 01:44 AM
blackberries ian Texas 1 16-04-2003 09:56 PM
blackberries ian United Kingdom 0 16-04-2003 12:20 PM
Fertalizing blackberries? Rick Samuel Texas 0 10-04-2003 03:20 PM
blackberries Jessica Lawns 6 10-03-2003 11:22 PM