Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-03-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default DDT or NO DDT?

writes:
James wrote:
This may be off topic but considering the chemical vs organic
arguement, I think it should be included here.

A google of DDT and death will result in articles such as

http://info-pollution.com/moreddt.htm

I think we can have an interesting discussion after reading several of
those articles.

Is DDT more harmful than useful?

DDT would be great for eradicating malaria. IMHO, malaria is the reason
Africa is a backwards continent that never will amount to much. If they
could beat malaria, Africa could join the 20th century -- or maybe even
the 21st. g

DDT is relatively non-toxic to humans, and it doesn't take much to spray
the inside walls of houses to kill the mosquitoes.

Developed countries that have already beaten malaria can get by without
DDT. We tend to use way too much pesticides in general.

Best regards,
Bob

I'm still wondering why there is not more widespread use of products such
as mosquito dunks, they work and work very well. It seems to be a more
effective method than spraying chemicals. I take special pleasure in
placing them in my fish pond knowing the mosquitoes will come, lay their
eggs, and end that lineage. How would the cost of providing such
substances compare with the cost of DDT and other sprays? Seems killing
the larvae is the key as they never get into the air to bite and breed.

There must be a practical way to provide similar product (grains instead
of dunks?) and spread/apply it. There is no harm to any creature or plant
other than mosquito larvae.

This is a sincere question. Why isn't that practice being used?

Glenna

Article on weight gain and exposure too DDT prenatal relates to obesity Bill who putters Edible Gardening 1 10-10-2010 07:30 AM
DDT or NO DDT? James Edible Gardening 11 15-03-2006 05:29 PM
pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute Jez Phillips United Kingdom 23 05-06-2003 03:56 PM