Old 15-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Registered User

Location: I live in Plymouth and my allotment is in Stoke, Plymouth
Smile wireworm control

Past digging on my allotment, I have discovered I have a severe problem with wireworm. The patch of ground which I intend to plant my potatoes is exceptionally bad with wireworm. I have plans to control slugs with Nemaslug but I do not know much about wireworm control. Can anyone help or suggest an organic solution to my troubles? Many thanks. Luke
Old 16-03-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default wireworm control

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:00:37 +0000, manforallseason
wrote:

Past digging on my allotment, I have discovered I have a severe problem
with wireworm. The patch of ground which I intend to plant my potatoes
is exceptionally bad with wireworm. I have plans to control slugs with
Nemaslug but I do not know much about wireworm control. Can anyone help
or suggest an organic solution to my troubles? Many thanks. Luke

Wireworms? *google, google, google* Ah, click beetles.

Here are some suggestions, but it doesn't look like an easy problem to
defeat organically.

http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rc...g/wireworm.htm

When I first started putting in a garden in this house, I found the
soil was loaded with Japanese beetle larvae. I immediately put milky
spore on my shopping list, but in the meantime, as I uncovered grubs,
I would put them on a tray-type bird feeder that was sitting on a
table; I mixed them in with some sunflower seeds and peanuts. The
birds loved it! I even had some red-bellied woodpeckers coming to that
feeder. One of them would dig around looking for grubs, then he crouch
down on the table and carefully look under the tray. It was so cute!

Good luck.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"