Old 21-03-2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com

Default What's your shit of choice?

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
Given a choice of free shit, which would you chose?

Fresh horse shit from the fields

Horse shit from a pile several years old

Horse shit straw mix from the stable

Rabbit shit

2 year old chicken shit and sawdust from the chicken coop

Dried cow chips

if any of it is free and can go on my compost heap then all is fine.

rob

Old 22-03-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Given a choice of free shit, which would you chose?

Fresh horse shit from the fields

Horse shit from a pile several years old

Horse shit straw mix from the stable

Rabbit shit

2 year old chicken shit and sawdust from the chicken coop

Dried cow chips

Your own poop

Chicken.
Hands down...

followed by composted emu, then old cow patties.

Horse is ok, but tends to be a bit hot if not well composted.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 22-03-2006, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
Given a choice of free shit, which would you chose?

Fresh horse shit from the fields

Needs to be aged, can't be used straight away.

Horse shit from a pile several years old

Fine

Horse shit straw mix from the stable

Needs to be aged and there is a greater chance of importing seeds from where
ever the feed the horses are on was cut.

Rabbit shit

Too hard to collect a substantial amount.

2 year old chicken shit and sawdust from the chicken coop

Good

Dried cow chips

Fine

Your own poop

No. Too many pathogens. Urine OTOH is OK, it is a good source of Nitrogen
and in healthy people it is sterile.

David

Old 22-03-2006, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:26:21 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"James" wrote in message

Rabbit shit

Too hard to collect a substantial amount.

Naw, you can get it by the bushel from rabbit producers. I used to see
it in the SC Market Bulletin advertised for free if you went and got
it yourself, or for a small fee if it was delivered. I haven't been
watching for it recently as I have a wonderful source of composted
horse manure.

It makes really nice compost, but those little coco puffs can take a
long time to break down if you don't put a layer of mulch of some sort
over them. Look funny floating in mud puddles, too!

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 22-03-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

wrote:

"James" wrote in message

Rabbit shit

Too hard to collect a substantial amount.

It makes really nice compost, but those little coco puffs can take a
long time to break down if you don't put a layer of mulch of some sort
over them.

We got a pair of guinea pigs, and I shake out their blankets in the compost
box. This year's box has never run hotter -- it's been great. Last fall's
leaves have completely broken down.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
See the books I've set free at:

Old 22-03-2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:31:47 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

Horse is ok, but tends to be a bit hot if not well composted.

One year I dug about two feet down in a cold frame, and layered about
6 inches of fresh horse manure, then buried it under the dirt. I
planted lots of greens, including dill, that grew beautifully all
winter. the only problem I had was if they got too tall and pressed up
against the glass, they'd get nipped during freezes.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 22-03-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

Horse is ok, but tends to be a bit hot if not well composted.

One year I dug about two feet down in a cold frame, and layered about
6 inches of fresh horse manure, then buried it under the dirt. I
planted lots of greens, including dill, that grew beautifully all
winter. the only problem I had was if they got too tall and pressed up
against the glass, they'd get nipped during freezes.

Penelope

I have that same problem with greenhouses. The plants can't touch the
walls.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 23-03-2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

wrote:

"James" wrote in message

Rabbit shit

Too hard to collect a substantial amount.

Naw, you can get it by the bushel from rabbit producers. I used to see
it in the SC Market Bulletin advertised for free if you went and got
it yourself, or for a small fee if it was delivered. I haven't been
watching for it recently as I have a wonderful source of composted
horse manure.

The only producers of rabbits around here are seen hopping about the pasture
and sadly they produce where ever they feel like it. I can see that more
intensive farming methods would alter that.

David