Old 23-03-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mr Greenleaf

Default Taking Bets - Will They Sprout?

Interesting, a green pepper is actually not ripe yet, correct? It is when
they become red that the fruit is ripe. So does that mean the seed is not
fully developed yet?
I will say they will not sprout.

Of course if they do sprout that doesn't mean they will produce the same
fruit, if this a hybrid plant.

Later
Mr Greenleaf

"---Pete---" wrote in message
Ok everyone,
Lets see who is smartest about seeds sprouting.

I love to eat the fresh long green hot peppers that I
buy from my local Acme grocery store but and I can't
find seeds locally to plant them in my garden. So I
cut one open today and the seeds look good &
fresh. The seeds are still white and not all disclolored
as they do get if left on the shelf or in the refrigerator too
long.

I used Martha Stewart's method of seed sprouting
by folding a paper towel into 4 layers, soaking it with
water, and placing it inside a sandwich sized ziplock
bag with about 30 of those pepper seeds. On 3/22/2006,
I placed the sealed bag on top of my computer
monitor which measures 85 degrees F.

Will they sprout?
I'm taking bets.

Hahahaha, not really taking bets but venture to
make a guess and I'll let you know what happens.

I think they won't sprout.

---pete---

Old 24-03-2006, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:52:01 -0500, "Mr Greenleaf"
wrote:

Interesting, a green pepper is actually not ripe yet, correct? It is when
they become red that the fruit is ripe. So does that mean the seed is not
fully developed yet?
I will say they will not sprout.

------
Peppers I grown here in NJ such as Jalapenos don't always get to
the red stage but they are still ripe. These peppers from the store
seem ripe while still green. I think I tried a seed experiment in the
past with store bought peppers in seed starter soil and they
didn't sprout but this time I have about 30 fresh looking seeds
so lets see what happens.

---pete---