Old 25-03-2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wandaz

Default Taking Bets - Will They Sprout?

They probibly won't sprout as the pepper wasn't ripe.Are the peppers
aniheim or cubanelle?You can find either seed at tomato
growers.....plus LOTS more.

Old 26-03-2006, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

On 25 Mar 2006 11:12:58 -0800, "Wandaz" wrote:

They probibly won't sprout as the pepper wasn't ripe.Are the peppers
aniheim or cubanelle?You can find either seed at tomato
growers.....plus LOTS more.

------
Neither, they are long green hot peppers, about 6 to 8 inches
long and about 3/4 inch in diameter. Closest match would
be as indicated below.

Italian Roaster Hybrid #9160
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot2.htm

BTW: This is not so much about getting this pepper in
my garden, it's more an experiment to see if I can get
grocery store bought produce to sprout from their
own seeds. I never had any luck at this yet, but in
the past I only tried it with few seeds set in seed
starter mix.

It's been 4 days now and nothing yet. Some are
turning from white to brown but nothing more.

I got the whole idea to do this from a reply in my
post about lettuce and after seeing Martha Stewart's
method of using a wet paper towel inside a sealed
sandwich sized ziplock bag.

In the past I had also tried a wet paper towel wrapped
in plastic wrap but that method often failed when the towel
dried out and it was too difficult to get it open and add
more water. So this new way of doing it seems to have
better potential.

I'll keep ya posted!

---pete---

Old 27-03-2006, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ernie

Even though the pepper was green, the seeds are probably mature enough
to germinate. The only problem I see is if they weren't dried and
hardened for at least a few days before they were planted or stuffed
into the bag.

I've grown both peppers and tomatoes from seeds obtained from grocery
store produce. Ernie