Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ranee Mueller

Default Avocados in the PNW

I live in Washington State, in a fairly warm area that doesn't get as
much rain as Seattle or Olympia, but still coastal (so not the long hot
summers and real winters of Eastern WA). I know we can grow avocado
trees here, but is there any chance we could actually harvest from them?
What would we need to do?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike

Renee,

I can't grow them in Dallas so I doubt you can there. Avacados can't
take a freeze.

Several years ago I heard about a variety that was going to be imported
from the mountains in Mexico. But I never heard anymore about them and
they never made it to a nursery here.

Mike

Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ranee Mueller

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

I can't grow them in Dallas so I doubt you can there. Avacados can't
take a freeze.

I'm guessing you mean the air and not the ground, then. We don't get
a freeze, the soil is always workable. It is pretty rare that we get
snow. I guess, we'll have to rely on the store and friends in CA to get
our avodados.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Ranee Mueller wrote:
I live in Washington State, in a fairly warm area that doesn't get as
much rain as Seattle or Olympia, but still coastal (so not the long hot
summers and real winters of Eastern WA). I know we can grow avocado
trees here, but is there any chance we could actually harvest from them?
What would we need to do?

This website doesn't seem optimistic for you, as it marks the northern
limit around Cape Mendocino in northern California. But microclimate
is always important. Another consideration is that you want more than
one tree, preferably of different types, to maximize pollination and
fruiting possibilities. More research needed! -aem

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nicole

I would guess that it's unlikely.
Avocado is a tropical to subtropical tree that flourishes in frost-free
areas. The trees are considered an evergreen and can reach 30' to 65' in
height at maturity. The fruit is classified as a berry with a single, large
seed. The trees are shallow rooted and mostly self-pollinating but can be
cross-pollinated too. Self-pollination occurs when wind blows across the
flowers, blending the pollen together to make fruit. In cross-pollination,
flying insects, such as bees and wasps, fly from flower to flower
replicating the wind's action. Avocado leaves are elliptical, glossy, dark
green, and sheds heavily in early spring.

http://www.calavo.com/consumers/homegrown.asp

A freeze doesn't mean the ground has to be frozen solid. When the air gets
to a certain degree, it harms the fruit on the trees (unless the fruit is
tolerant; avocados are not).
There are things that can be done to prevent the fruit from freezing but
they are time and money consuming.

Call you local extension office and get advice from them.
http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/
ext.wsu.edu
Here's an interesting site
http://gardening.wsu.edu/

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/avocado.html
http://www.californiaavocadosociety.....html#planting

Take a seed and try starting it inside. What do you have to lose?

I'm in CA where avocados are grown and we still pay around a dollar a piece
at the grocery store. I can find frozen avocado pieces cheaper than this,
same with guacamole.
good luck

Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
LJ

The problem with avocados, and the reason they're so expensive it that it
takes several years before they are mature enough to fruit. I've heard 10
years. However, I've heard of an avocado you can grow in a container that
supposed to grow very and fruit sooner. It's called a Avocado Don Gillogly.
It's available at "Park's" http://www.parkseed.com/ and search for avocado.
(Or Google for a lot more places). Parks says:

"Grow delicious avocados in your own living room with this vigorous,
evergreen Mexican native!
Annually produces two crops of soft, black-skinned avocados with a rich
flavor!

Enjoy luscious tropical fruit year-round in your living room from this
vigorous, evergreen dwarf! Fast-growing and pest-free, this Mexican native
produces two crops a year of soft, black-skinned avocados with a flavor so
rich you need nothing else for a scrumptious guacamole!

Self-pollination follows the winter blooms, and the fruit ripens year-round
(though the first crop may take up to 14 months). In mild climates it's also
an excellent patio specimen, but bring it indoors beside a sunny window
before frost. Capable of reaching 10 feet tall, but simple to keep pinched
back to desired height and width, the Gillogly Avocado is both attractive
and productive. Comes with easy culture instructions."

It has an interesting story:

"Once upon a time, in San Diego, CA, Don Gillogly planted a seedling he had
grown from a store-bought Hass seed. He just wanted to put up a privacy
barrier between his house and the house next door.

A few years passed, and the little tree grew and grew. One day, Don, busily
working near his now mature tree, was actually slapped in the face by an
enormous avocado hanging hidden behind the large leaves of his erstwhile
seedling.

What a shock! Not only did this seedling grow, but it produced fruit with
an incomparable flavor. Further investigation proved more and more
astounding. The fruit was beautiful, bright and lustrous green, but was
not ripe until it had turned black. It lasted forever, produced fruit TWICE
a year, and was so tasty, nothing needed to be added to make guacamole. No
spices, no mayo, nothing at all.

The fruit, besides its incredible flavor, was hardy beyond compare. It did
not turn dark after slicing. It was, therefore, rich with antioxidants,
which preserve it and people eating it. Its skin was thick, yet pliable,
protecting it from bruising, but no peeling was necessary, as it just
dropped out of the skin, like an egg from a shell.

Due to the unique characteristics of this wonderful plant, Don set about the
daunting task of patenting it. After 6 years of hard work, research and
development, the 'Don Gillogly' avocado is now patented, and is being
offered to the general public, in this first, but limited propagation."

Probably much more info than you wanted, but it's been on my wish list for a
couple of years. I've having trouble find one for import into Canada.
Cheers,
LJ in Pitt Meadows,BC
Canada

Old 15-04-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

"LJ" writes:
The problem with avocados, and the reason they're so expensive it that it
takes several years before they are mature enough to fruit. I've heard 10
years. However, I've heard of an avocado you can grow in a container that

If you grow an avo from a seed then it is said to take something like
10 to 15 years to bear, but if you buy a grafted one they bear in much
shorter time. Avocados are a popular fruit here in Australia. The home
grower might be better off growing the minature-fruiting variety so you
get heaps of dessertspoon-sized fruit rather than a few very large ones.
The small ones go under the generic term 'cocktail avocados' but I don't
know any actual names. One advantage with many small fruit: not only do
they reach maturity faster but if a bird or rat or possum takes a few
bites out of one, that loss is not so significant to your harvest.

Just my thoughts.