Old 05-04-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default String Beans Choices

What/s your suggestion for a bush string bean variety for succession
planting in a Zone 7 square-foot garden?

How many row-feet do you plant to get a few dinner-for-three/s worth a week?

--
TQ

Old 05-04-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

not many, TQ. They are very productive. Having permanent trellis, I
plant only pole ones, so YMMV. For pole, violet stringless, ten plants
will give you that 1.5dinners/week for three. And you can plant them in
a 40 inches row.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ernie

Fortex from Johnny's. Stringless, taste good and can be allowed to get
large and not lose quality. Second choice would be Kentucky Blue.
Pick when medium size to avoid stringiness.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

TQ wrote:
What/s your suggestion for a bush string bean variety for succession
planting in a Zone 7 square-foot garden?

How many row-feet do you plant to get a few dinner-for-three/s worth a week?

There's now a bush variety of French haricots verts, called "Rolande."
Available from Renee's Garden and probably other places. I would
succession plant several of them, since bush beans tend to mature all
at once. -aem

Old 05-04-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

On 5 Apr 2006 12:01:17 -0700, "aem" wrote:

TQ wrote:
What/s your suggestion for a bush string bean variety for succession
planting in a Zone 7 square-foot garden?

How many row-feet do you plant to get a few dinner-for-three/s worth a week?

There's now a bush variety of French haricots verts, called "Rolande."
Available from Renee's Garden and probably other places. I would
succession plant several of them, since bush beans tend to mature all
at once. -aem

I plant all my green beans at once, but am very careful to keep them
picked. They will produce a long time if picked clean.

I know the general consensus is to do as you advise and in any garden
that is planted for a 2nd crop, it is nice to free up some space along
the way.

Boron

Old 07-04-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

That is the ticket. I, too, pick them clean (with pole beans in an
overhanging trellis it is very easy, the beans hang out of the leaves
in plain view). if they don't catch diseases, they produce until the
weather turns cold.