Old 19-04-2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314

Default Over-wintering Hot Peppers

Last Fall, there was a post on this group about digging up hot pepper plants
for replanting in the Spring. I mentioned this to my wife, who plants a
variety of hot peppers every year. She thought it would be an interesting
experiment so she dug up three habenero plants and two serrano plants after
they died back. These were kept in the laundry room all Winter, where it's a
few degrees cooler than the rest of the house. As planting season
approached, they were put under the grow lights and watered regularly.

Of the three habenero, two survived. They were dormant all Winter. They sent
out new sprouts through the soil from the roots but nothing came from the
old stems from last year. They're doing very well.

Both of the serrano survived. They put out a few small leaves from the
original stems early in the Winter but those didn't grow much at all until
Spring.

All four surviving plants are out in the cold frame at the moment and will
be replanted in the pepper bed before too long. If they do anything out of
the ordinary this year, I'll post it here.

Paul

Old 24-04-2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Theoretically all chillies are perrenials; if you can protect them from
frost!
See if you can get some 'mazano' chilli seeds.
They are the most cold tolerant.(and as hot as habaneros!)
Michael Bailes

Old 26-04-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Allan Matthews

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:10:10 -0400, "Pavel314"
wrote:

[...]

Put a plant in a large pot and place it in the living area of your
home. It will bear peppers everly few months and will live for more
than one year.

Old 27-04-2006, 10:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AngelCityArt

Michaelangel is right, theoretically they're perenials. My climate is
mild enough that I've had peppers survive the winter and produce
another crop the next year. But they don't seem to do so hot after the
second year and I wind up replacing them. Has anyone kept theirs over
for three years or more?

Old 28-04-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jon Shemitz

AngelCityArt wrote:

Michaelangel is right, theoretically they're perenials. My climate is
mild enough that I've had peppers survive the winter and produce
another crop the next year. But they don't seem to do so hot after the
second year and I wind up replacing them. Has anyone kept theirs over
for three years or more?

Yes, I have a serranno going on to its twelfth year.

--

http://www.midnightbeach.com Contracting, consulting, training
..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers http://www.midnightbeach.com/.net

Old 01-06-2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FACE

On 27 Apr 2006 02:09:31 -0700, in rec.gardens.edible "AngelCityArt"
, in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

Michaelangel is right, theoretically they're perenials. My climate is
mild enough that I've had peppers survive the winter and produce
another crop the next year. But they don't seem to do so hot after the
second year and I wind up replacing them. Has anyone kept theirs over
for three years or more?

I am in lower zone 7? How about you?
(I know this is an old message)

FACE

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM