Old 15-05-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nartker

Default Hardening off Plants

I've got another 2 weeks for my final frost date. What is the best way to
harden off Pepper and tomato plants started under high intensity lights?

Old 15-05-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

Nartker wrote:

I've got another 2 weeks for my final frost date. What is the best way to
harden off Pepper and tomato plants started under high intensity lights?

According to my resources, tomatoes can be planted on the ADLF but
peppers should be planted 2 weeks after ADLF. I would set the tomato
plants out in a semi-shady windfree spot gradually increading the time
period out until they are out for the entire day. I'd do the same for
peppers only wait until the ADLF to set them out.

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
Old 16-05-2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Butzmark

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:18:59 -0400, Garden Gnome
wrote:

Nartker wrote:

I've got another 2 weeks for my final frost date. What is the best way to
harden off Pepper and tomato plants started under high intensity lights?

According to my resources, tomatoes can be planted on the ADLF but
peppers should be planted 2 weeks after ADLF. I would set the tomato
plants out in a semi-shady windfree spot gradually increading the time
period out until they are out for the entire day. I'd do the same for
peppers only wait until the ADLF to set them out.

I started using a metal halide light a few years ago. The light is so
strong almost no hardening is needed. Just put the plants out on a
partly cloudy day and they should be OK. A reciprocating fan aimed at
the plants under the light will help them get used to wind. This year
I got a new "blue" halide bulb. The plants are so squat and thick I
didn't bother with the fan.

Hardening Off Plants Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 23-10-2004 04:56 PM
Hardening Off Plants Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 23-10-2004 02:40 PM
Hardening off Neale United Kingdom 1 23-05-2003 10:32 AM
Hardening off in windy weather? Jon Shemitz Edible Gardening 0 15-05-2003 09:44 PM
Hardening off JimM United Kingdom 6 02-05-2003 08:20 AM