Old 26-05-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Guy

Default Another snail barrier test

Did another experiment with pennies (US) using a hungry snail (I had it
in a bottle for a couple of days). Bad news is that it crossed a 3 penny
wide barrier for its last meal (Corry's snail bait.) Conclusion: pennies
work on slugs but not snails, at least hungry ones (and aren't they all
hungry?)
--
SteveO
I don't brake for FEMA.
Old 26-05-2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
The Guy wrote:

Did another experiment with pennies (US) using a hungry snail (I had it
in a bottle for a couple of days). Bad news is that it crossed a 3 penny
wide barrier for its last meal (Corry's snail bait.) Conclusion: pennies
work on slugs but not snails, at least hungry ones (and aren't they all
hungry?)

Try a bowl of dark ale for snails........

Works for us.

Slugs too.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
The Guy wrote:

Did another experiment with pennies (US) using a hungry snail (I had it
in a bottle for a couple of days). Bad news is that it crossed a 3 penny
wide barrier for its last meal (Corry's snail bait.) Conclusion: pennies
work on slugs but not snails, at least hungry ones (and aren't they all
hungry?)

Try a bowl of dark ale for snails........

Works for us.

Slugs too.

But not much good unless you're trying to get rid of them in a confined
area. If the area is not confined, it's too labour intensive to be
maintaining the bait. Much easier to buy a few bags of mulch or separate
the area with rough lumber.

And I'm sure there are some out there that would have better use for the
beer...

..
Old 26-05-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:46:04 -0230, cloud dreamer
wrote:

But not much good unless you're trying to get rid of them in a confined
area. If the area is not confined, it's too labour intensive to be
maintaining the bait. Much easier to buy a few bags of mulch or separate
the area with rough lumber.

I believe my snails and slugs must be made of tougher stuff than
yours. Rough boards don't even slow them down, and both mulch and
boards just give them a good place to hide from the sun.

Besides, beer cups are not labor intensive at all, unless you consider
a leisurely stroll around your garden hard labor.

And I'm sure there are some out there that would have better use for the
beer...

Use cheap, sugary beer. It's not worth drinking anyway.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-05-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

wrote:

But not much good unless you're trying to get rid of them in a confined
area. If the area is not confined, it's too labour intensive to be
maintaining the bait. Much easier to buy a few bags of mulch or separate
the area with rough lumber.

I believe my snails and slugs must be made of tougher stuff than
yours. Rough boards don't even slow them down, and both mulch and
boards just give them a good place to hide from the sun.

The barrier of rough lumber is meant to be dug down into the ground an
inch or two - the slugs will not be able to hide under there. I use
rough 4x4 (truly rough) and surround them with mulch. I have yet to see
a slug or snail in the beds.

Besides, beer cups are not labor intensive at all, unless you consider
a leisurely stroll around your garden hard labor.

From my experience, it was messy, disgusting and time consuming.
Disposing of the snails and slugs, cleaning refilling the
containers...it's not leisurely to me in the least.

Not to mention the cost of having to keep them filled....cheap beer or
no. Then if you slip up or don't have enough traps out....the buggers
will go for the next best thing...the lettuce sitting right next to the
traps. At least mulch and wood (properly done) is a consistent deterrent.

..

Old 26-05-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:05:58 GMT, The Guy
wrote:

Conclusion: pennies
work on slugs but not snails, at least hungry ones (and aren't they all
hungry?)

Just a thought...

Next time you pass a store that sells tropical fish, they also
sell stuff (tm) to rid aquariums of snails. Perhaps the stuff
(tm) could be adapted for your garden. I have no idea what this
might do to or for your garden.
Old 27-05-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

wrote:

But not much good unless you're trying to get rid of them in a confined
area. If the area is not confined, it's too labour intensive to be
maintaining the bait. Much easier to buy a few bags of mulch or separate
the area with rough lumber.

I believe my snails and slugs must be made of tougher stuff than
yours. Rough boards don't even slow them down, and both mulch and
boards just give them a good place to hide from the sun.

The barrier of rough lumber is meant to be dug down into the ground an
inch or two - the slugs will not be able to hide under there. I use
rough 4x4 (truly rough) and surround them with mulch. I have yet to see
a slug or snail in the beds.

As I said, my snails and slugs must be made of tougher stuff than
yours.

Besides, beer cups are not labor intensive at all, unless you consider
a leisurely stroll around your garden hard labor.

From my experience, it was messy, disgusting and time consuming.
Disposing of the snails and slugs, cleaning refilling the
containers...it's not leisurely to me in the least.

Hm, apparently I'm made of tougher stuff than you.

Not to mention the cost of having to keep them filled....cheap beer or
no. Then if you slip up or don't have enough traps out....the buggers
will go for the next best thing...the lettuce sitting right next to the
traps. At least mulch and wood (properly done) is a consistent deterrent.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just admit it. My snails and slugs can kick
your snails and slugs' sticky little bottoms. They'd break off
splinters from your rough boards and impale your sad, sorry,
slime-challenged snails and slugs, and leave their oozing bodies
to wither in the sun as a warning to all the others.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 27-05-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Hm, apparently I'm made of tougher stuff than you.

Nope. You're just a sucker for punishment.

..
Old 27-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com

"The Guy" wrote in message
Did another experiment with pennies (US) using a hungry snail (I had it
in a bottle for a couple of days). Bad news is that it crossed a 3 penny
wide barrier for its last meal (Corry's snail bait.) Conclusion: pennies
work on slugs but not snails, at least hungry ones (and aren't they all
hungry?)

Hell of a way to go out. Starved for a few days and then fed poison.

rob

Old 28-05-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kate

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just admit it. My snails and slugs can kick
your snails and slugs' sticky little bottoms. They'd break off
splinters from your rough boards and impale your sad, sorry,
slime-challenged snails and slugs, and leave their oozing bodies
to wither in the sun as a warning to all the others.

ROFLMAO!
They'd be slug-ging it out!

HAHAHAAAAA thanks for the laugh P !

Kate

Old 03-06-2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

"George.com" writes:
"The Guy" wrote in message
Did another experiment with pennies (US) using a hungry snail (I had it
in a bottle for a couple of days). Bad news is that it crossed a 3 penny
wide barrier for its last meal (Corry's snail bait.)

An extension to this: instead of using a multi-layer barrier of all
pennies, construct it so the second layer is of a different alloy coin.
If the pennies contain copper, make the second layer of something that
is silvery (maybe a zinc/nickel alloy). That way, any time the snail
makes contact with both alloys it feels a small electric potential. At
best it's probably going to be no more than around 0.25 volts, but even
this *may* be enough to disuade the snail from progressing further. I
haven't tried it, there are no snails here as we are in a 3 year drought.

Just make sure that coins of different alloy are glued in place so they
are near to each other BUT DO NOT MAKE CONTACT or this will short out
the natural voltage that develops.

Copper snail barrier report Lol[_2_] United Kingdom 1 18-05-2008 11:04 PM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Root barrier - Biobarrier ? Mike Buckler Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Root barrier - Biobarrier ? Mike Buckler Australia 4 04-03-2003 12:32 AM
surround the roots with a non-perishable barrier ?! [email protected] United Kingdom 4 10-02-2003 11:29 AM