Old 28-05-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Daniel Prince

Default What variety of artichoke do I have?

Several years ago I bought an artichoke plant from a guy at my local
farmer's market. It has since multiplied into several plants. The
flowers on these plants always turn purple on the tops when they are
very small and they start opening up when they are around tennis
ball size.

Does anyone know what variety of artichoke this is? Is there a
variety of artichoke that would be better for me? I am in Sunset
zone 22 very near the edge of zone 24, about five to seven miles
from the ocean.

Would Imperial Star artichoke grown from seed be better than what I
have? When would I plant Imperial Star artichokes in my area?
Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
My previous cat Rocket thought that every time I ate something he
should get some canned cat food. Marmaduke, the cat I have now,
Old 30-05-2006, 09:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
connie

Are you sure it is an artichoke and not a cardoon (Cynara cardunculus)?

Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Daniel Prince

"connie" wrote:

Are you sure it is an artichoke and not a cardoon (Cynara cardunculus)?

No, I am not sure. How can I tell which it is? Would you like me
to email you pictures of them?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
connie

Daniel Prince wrote:
"connie" wrote:

Are you sure it is an artichoke and not a cardoon (Cynara cardunculus)?

No, I am not sure. How can I tell which it is? Would you like me
to email you pictures of them?
--
My previous cat Rocket thought that every time I ate something he
should get some canned cat food. Marmaduke, the cat I have now,
thinks that he should get canned food and be allowed to get on the
table and eat what he wants off my plate.

Its not so easy to distinguish between the two. Cardoon seedlings and
and young plants are generally more vigorous in growth, the leaf a
little wider and has a more metallic, silvery sheen. There are many
who would suggest that the ribs of the young spring leaves make for
very good eating (look to Italian recipe books for more info) but it
is generally accepted that the buds are not as useful. The excellent
book "Vegetables" by Roger Phillips&Martyn Rix (the Pan Garden Plants
Series) has a very good section on artichokes and cardoons.
I have grown the Imperial Star artichoke from seed and they give a very
nice even line of plants without the thorniness that often comes with
other varieties. My 4yr old plants are still cropping very well both
spring and autumn.
Hope this is of some help - Connie