Old 01-06-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hot weather vegetables?

What are the good vegetables or fruits to grow in hot weather? I was
going to grow red bell peppers this summer, but I found out they don't
like hot weather. They just like mildly warm weather. It gets up to 100
degrees or more down here in southern california. Sometimes it gets as
high as 115 degrees but not very often. I've noticed a lot of
vegetables prefer cool weather.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Deb Hayes

Wizzer--all the peppers I have ever grown wait until it IS hot to grow very
much.

They grow peppers and chilies in Arizona, no?

Deb

ups.com...

Old 01-06-2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the good vegetables or fruits to grow in hot weather? I was
going to grow red bell peppers this summer, but I found out they don't
like hot weather. They just like mildly warm weather. It gets up to 100
degrees or more down here in southern california. Sometimes it gets as
high as 115 degrees but not very often. I've noticed a lot of
vegetables prefer cool weather.

Corn, okra, squash, lopes, melons, beans, potatoes, apples, peaches, plums,
oranges, pears, blueberries, and raspberries don/t mind hot wx.

Tomats and peppers don/t set fruit very well when temps reach into the 90s
and above but if you got your transplants in the ground at the beginning of
the season, you could have some measure of success before the wx turned
hot-hot-hot. Once the wx cooled with the approach of fall, fruits would set
again for a late-season harvest.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nicole

I'm in the san joaquin valley (kern county) and plant
beans, corn, tomatoes, summer squash, onions, potatoes, strawberries.... UC
Davis has an amazing website. It'll give you more info than you'll ever
need.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/
http://www.ucanr.org/index.cfm

http://www.ucanr.org/findinformation.cfm?findinfosub=6
ups.com...

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Jalapenos don't get hot if weather is not hot? Ook Gardening 2 27-08-2007 05:12 AM