Old 01-06-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wally B

Default Curling leaves

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On Wed, 31 May 2006 20:17:45 -0700, "Wally B"
wrote:

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Are they curling up or are they curling down? Any
discolouration?

Normally caused by stress--upward curl too much water and
downward curl by too little water. There are other possible
stressors. See

http://gardenline.usask.ca/pests/tomato.html if discoloured and
other possible causes.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

Not sure this applies to tomatoes, but check the underside of the leaves for any tiny
insects.

Sherwin D.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

"Wally B" wrote in message
Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Try this for help:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old 01-06-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

wrote:

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Are they curling up or down, and are they curling from the tip toward
the stem, or from towards the middle?

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 02-06-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wally B

I don't see any insects.

Wally B wrote:

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old 02-06-2006, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:39:08 -0700, "Wally B"
wrote:

They're curling up.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/hort_inq...leaf_roll.html

"Physiological leaf roll may be associated with environmental stresses
such as excess moisture, excess nitrogen, and transplant shock. Leaf
roll may also be related to moisture conservation during periods of
extreme heat and drought. Improper cultural practices such as severe
pruning and root damage during cultivation can also cause leaf roll
symptoms. Physiological leaf roll involves an initial upward cupping
of the leaves, followed by an inward roll. In severe cases, the leaves
roll up until the leaflets overlap. Symptomatic leaves become
thickened and leathery. Symptoms typically appear first in lower
leaves but may spread to the entire plant, depending on the severity
of the condition. Leaf roll is more commonly associated with staking
varieties of tomato, such as "Early Girl" and "Big Boy", rather than
bush types. In most cases, the condition is temporary and will have
little or no affect on plant growth or fruit production. "

Does this sound like your problem?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wally B

Yes it does, and I suspect it's over watering. I live in the Mojave desert
and when it gets hot, I'm prone to watering cause when I get hot and
thirsty, I think my plants are hot and thirsty also (grin). Thank you.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Higgledy

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:39:08 -0700, "Wally B"
wrote:

They're curling up.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/hort_inq...mato_leaf_roll
.html

"Physiological leaf roll may be associated with environmental stresses
such as excess moisture, excess nitrogen, and transplant shock. Leaf
roll may also be related to moisture conservation during periods of
extreme heat and drought. Improper cultural practices such as severe
pruning and root damage during cultivation can also cause leaf roll
symptoms. Physiological leaf roll involves an initial upward cupping
of the leaves, followed by an inward roll. In severe cases, the leaves
roll up until the leaflets overlap. Symptomatic leaves become

I have a grape tomato with yellowed leaves (at the top of the plant)
and it has rolled down leaves. The plant is about 2-feet tall and has 2
green tomatoes and several buds, that look healthy. Is this the viral
disease? Being that it is still late spring, should I keep it or buy an
extra-large plant from a nursery?

Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Higgledy

Wally B wrote:

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service
in the World! 100,000 Newsgroups ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =---

I have a grape tomato with yellowed leaves (at the top of the plant)
and it has rolled down leaves. The plant is about 2-feet tall and has 2
green tomatoes and several buds, that look healthy. Is this the viral
disease? Being that it is still late spring, should I keep it or buy an
extra-large plant from a nursery?

I also have an Early Girl and a Big Boy. Both have curling down leaves
but all are green. Neither have ever been dry nor over watered (IMO).

Thanks -- Higgledy