Old 07-06-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jibby

Default Eggplant

I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to
support them?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley

Jibby wrote:
I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to
support them?

Thanks!

Sure, or sticks. We grow eggplant every year here in USDA zone 9b and
the stalks get so thick we don't need to support them unless they're
heavy with fruit. This year we've picked about 20 fruit of the Ichiban
variety from four plants. A few years ago we picked 75 lbs from seven
Ichiban plants. You gotta be careful how many plants you have or your
neighbors will start turning off the lights and locking their doors when
they see you coming with a bag of eggplant. VBG

George

Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Deb Hayes

you bet! I have mine caged this year...hoping the "eggs" will stay cleaner,
too!

Deb

. ..

Old 08-06-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Jibby" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to
support them?

Anytime I/ve grown eggplant, there/s never been a need to stake or cage.
Keep them picked when ripe and the plant won/t b/come overloaded.

Of course, if they are staked / caged and a big wind comes up from a passing
thunderstorm, then you have added insurance.

Drawing a little soil up against the stalk all 'round will provide some
extra support.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill

In article , jabootalo@No-
Reply.yahoo.com says...
I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to
support them?

Thanks!

Why not, I always do.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

"Jibby" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to
support them?

Thanks!

It depends on the variety but often they are self supporting as they are
much stronger than tomatos.

David

Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Last year I stake mine because the fruit weighed so much and it is
windy on the ridge that I live on.

David Hare-Scott wrote:
. ..

Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jibby

Default Eggplant - THANKS!

"Jibby" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to
support them?

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's help. This is my first year growing eggplants.
Thanks again!