Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tmo

Default newbie cuke question

Hi Everyone,
This is my first year planting a vegetable garden. I have two cucumber
plants that are comimng along. I've built a tent of bamboo poles over
each plant. My question is: do I have to tie the cucumbers to the poles
or will they begin climbing the poles on their own? I've sort of guided
the plants to rest against one of the legs and one tendril is wrapping
itself around. Is this enough?

TIA,
cuke newbie in SEA

Old 13-06-2006, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"This is my first year planting a vegetable garden. I have two cucumber
plants that are comimng along. I've built a tent of bamboo poles over
each plant. My question is: do I have to tie the cucumbers to the poles
or will they begin climbing the poles on their own? I've sort of guided
the plants to rest against one of the legs and one tendril is wrapping
itself around. Is this enough?"

Cucumber vines are most fragile so I wouldn/t be trying to tie them.

Guide the vines toward the poles and let the tendrils do the rest.