Old 24-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default Best cuke for flesh/seed ratio?

I'm growing Little Leaf this year, and the plants are healthy and the
cukes look great, but as soon as they get any size at all, they're
full of seeds. I expect that when they get to full size (say 6" long
and 2" across), but even at one inch diameter these seem to be at
least 3/4 seeds. I don't think I should have to pick them the size of
baby carrots just to avoid seeds.

Anyone want to suggest a variety that has a high flesh/seed ratio?
I'd like something firm for pickling. That's why I don't care for all
the weak, seedy center portion in the first place; it just doesn't
make the pickles crunchy like they should be.

Thanks,
--
Aaron

Old 25-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Penny Morgan

I find that "Straight Eight" by Burpee is a very blocky, medium sized
cucumber with small seeds and is very crunchy. I have used them several
times in pickle recipes with great success. I also hate seedy cucumbers.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 25-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Aaron Baugher

"Penny Morgan" writes:

I find that "Straight Eight" by Burpee is a very blocky, medium
sized cucumber with small seeds and is very crunchy. I have used
them several times in pickle recipes with great success. I also
hate seedy cucumbers.

Thanks; I'll look that one up for next year.

--
Aaron

Old 25-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Aaron Baugher wrote:

I'm growing Little Leaf this year, and the plants are healthy and the
cukes look great, but as soon as they get any size at all, they're
full of seeds. I expect that when they get to full size (say 6" long
and 2" across), but even at one inch diameter these seem to be at
least 3/4 seeds. I don't think I should have to pick them the size of
baby carrots just to avoid seeds.

Anyone want to suggest a variety that has a high flesh/seed ratio?
I'd like something firm for pickling. That's why I don't care for all
the weak, seedy center portion in the first place; it just doesn't
make the pickles crunchy like they should be.

Thanks,

My Armenians are very crunchy with much fewer seeds than normal and
long....... very long lol. I am also looking for other cukes with fewer
seeds.
Old 25-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Noydb

Aaron Baugher wrote:

I'm growing Little Leaf this year, and the plants are healthy and the
cukes look great, but as soon as they get any size at all, they're
full of seeds. I expect that when they get to full size (say 6" long
and 2" across), but even at one inch diameter these seem to be at
least 3/4 seeds. I don't think I should have to pick them the size of
baby carrots just to avoid seeds.

Anyone want to suggest a variety that has a high flesh/seed ratio?
I'd like something firm for pickling. That's why I don't care for all
the weak, seedy center portion in the first place; it just doesn't
make the pickles crunchy like they should be.

Thanks,

I am growing a variety called "National Pickling Cucumber" and they have a
nice ratio. They are also about the right size to fit whole in a jar.
Pretty prolific, too.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)