Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike

Default Grape broken training shoot

Hi All,

I am new to grapes and was following suggestions on how to train a
grape vine and like a moron I broke off the end of the shoot I had
selected and was training as the trunk. I pulled it too taught and the
tip broke off just above the first wire on a four-arm Kniffen system.

How is it possible to recover from this error? Do I now need to select
a new vine to train as the trunk? Since the grape should theoretically
be around for years I want to do this correctly.

Thanks a ton for any suggestions,

Mike

Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

Mike wrote:

Hi All,

I am new to grapes and was following suggestions on how to train a
grape vine and like a moron I broke off the end of the shoot I had
selected and was training as the trunk. I pulled it too taught and the
tip broke off just above the first wire on a four-arm Kniffen system.

How is it possible to recover from this error? Do I now need to select
a new vine to train as the trunk? Since the grape should theoretically
be around for years I want to do this correctly.

Thanks a ton for any suggestions,

Mike

1. The broken tip will soon be replaced by a new growing tip that
starts in the axil of one of the remaining leaves. (It's not near the
end of the growing season yet.)

2. You could select a different vine to train if there is another good
one to choose from.

There's nothing wrong with training more than one when the vine is still
very young. You can later keep the best one and cut down the others.
After the leaves fall is a good time to select.

Steve
Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article om,
"Mike" wrote:

1. The broken tip will soon be replaced by a new growing tip that
starts in the axil of one of the remaining leaves. (It's not near the
end of the growing season yet.)

2. You could select a different vine to train if there is another good
one to choose from.

There's nothing wrong with training more than one when the vine is still
very young. You can later keep the best one and cut down the others.
After the leaves fall is a good time to select.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks much for the solace and suggestions. I feel better now. My
garden gets personal and it felt like I just injured my best friend
when I pulled the end of the shoot off.

Regards,

Mike

It's not uncommon for plants to sprout _2_ new growing tips if you break
one off. :-) I get my catnip plants to get really bushy by doing it on
purpose. I pinch the terminal shoot off right at a pair of leaf nodes.

I have more than one cat that gets to enjoy fresh organic catnip, so
bushy plants are good. G

I know that has nada to do with grape vines, but I'm betting that you
will get two shoots......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 17-07-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike

It's not uncommon for plants to sprout _2_ new growing tips if you break
one off. :-) I get my catnip plants to get really bushy by doing it on
purpose. I pinch the terminal shoot off right at a pair of leaf nodes.

I have more than one cat that gets to enjoy fresh organic catnip, so
bushy plants are good. G

I know that has nada to do with grape vines, but I'm betting that you
will get two shoots......

Hi There,

This time I just got one shoot. Can't be right all the time :-)

Old 17-07-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

It's not uncommon for plants to sprout _2_ new growing tips if you break
one off. :-) I get my catnip plants to get really bushy by doing it on
purpose. I pinch the terminal shoot off right at a pair of leaf nodes.

I have more than one cat that gets to enjoy fresh organic catnip, so
bushy plants are good. G

I know that has nada to do with grape vines, but I'm betting that you
will get two shoots......

Hi There,

This time I just got one shoot. Can't be right all the time :-)

Was worth a shot... lol
Most plants I "top" deliberately to get them to bush out. :-)

Glad your baby is doing ok!
--
Peace!
Om