Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Registered User

Default winter tomato crop

Is it possible to plant any type of tomato now ready for a winter crop ?
I have just been reading this article here
http://www.rustyacres.com/winter_tomatoes.htm
But i am not sure of what type of tomato to sow.
They would out side in big pots.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:18:01 +0100, terryd
wrote:

Is it possible to plant any type of tomato now ready for a winter crop
?
I have just been reading this article here
http://tinyurl.com/noas8

That's an interesting article. I grow Stupice for my early tomatoes
in the spring, and I agree with their description. They're great
little tomatoes.

I've never thought about growing a winter crop before, though. I was
given to understand that the lower light levels combined with the cold
made it almost impossible. Now I'm tempted to try a fall crop and see
if I can have Thanksgiving tomatoes.

But i am not sure of what type of tomato to sow.
They would out side in big pots.

Are you going to bring them inside during cold snaps?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 07-08-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Is it possible to plant any type of tomato now ready for a winter crop
?
I have just been reading this article here
http://tinyurl.com/noas8

That's an interesting article. I grow Stupice for my early tomatoes
in the spring, and I agree with their description. They're great
little tomatoes.

I've never thought about growing a winter crop before, though. I was
given to understand that the lower light levels combined with the cold
made it almost impossible. Now I'm tempted to try a fall crop and see
if I can have Thanksgiving tomatoes.

But i am not sure of what type of tomato to sow.
They would out side in big pots.

Are you going to bring them inside during cold snaps?

Penelope

Later plantings gave me thanksgiving tomatoes, but in the smaller
varieties.

If I wintered over tomato plants in large pots in the greenhouse, I
managed to get ripe tomatoes in mid-March. The low light cycles don't
allow them to bloom or set, even with artificial lighting to keep them
warm during freezes.

I might try a timer system using colored bulbs for the "dark" time just
for warmth. I've not gone that far yet. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yes , I always have a fall crop. I recommend tomatoes with a short maturity
like Early Girl ( 52 days). You need to get your plants started now and
transplant as soon as you can, or leave in large pots if you prefer. You
will have to mulch well and keep them well watered during August and most of
September but late September and October will be your best growing period.
Depending on your start date, fresh tomatoes in late October and thru
November until our first frost. If we are lucky, here in the Austin area, we
can sometimes grow until December before the first frost. I also suggest a
fall bell pepper crop. Cool mornings and warm afternoons really produce good
bells.

Have Fun

JEM
"terryd" wrote in message

Is it possible to plant any type of tomato now ready for a winter crop
?
I have just been reading this article here
http://tinyurl.com/noas8
But i am not sure of what type of tomato to sow.
They would out side in big pots.

Thanks

--
terryd

Winter rye cover crop [email protected] Gardening 6 05-09-2009 04:45 AM
Winter Crop Moe Jones Texas 7 16-08-2008 03:44 AM
cereal rye for winter cover crop? engwar Gardening 7 25-09-2007 02:01 AM
Big Zac Tomato - Seed Crop Failure GA Pinhead Edible Gardening 3 12-12-2005 03:13 AM
Tomato Disaster, lost crop, any idea why ? Duncan Lyall United Kingdom 20 09-09-2005 05:12 PM