Old 27-09-2006, 08:35 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default snail repellent

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
How do you make the nest?

The bird builds it's own nest inside.
Just carve the hole small enough so the Currawong cannot get inside

and
the bird still can. Make sure the nesting space is at lest 6 cm.

deep
and drill 3 drain holes in the bottom for when it rains. They will

build
on top of the drains but it does not plug them.

I don't have any pics on hand right now, sorry.
I cut a hole for the birds, drain holes in the bottom and stick a
screwed in eye bolt in the top for hanging, and hang them up between

5
and 6 ft. up. Mine seem to go for the lower ones.

Thanks for the instructions Om.

the "pop up"
greenhouses

Now that too sounds interesting. What is it and how do you make

them.

I got them from he
http://tinyurl.com/kfmd9

Do a google search using "dreamhouse greenhouse" and see if you can

find
one locally.

Looks great. Unfortunately not available locally. :-((
I've got a gun licence and guns so that isn't a problem. I

suspect
that shooting Currawongs isn't allowed and a lead slug just makes

then
squark but............

Follow the 3S rule...... ;-)

Yes :-)) I was telling a friend that rule today in relation to a cat
problem she has.

Old 27-09-2006, 06:36 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

I cut a hole for the birds, drain holes in the bottom and stick a
screwed in eye bolt in the top for hanging, and hang them up between

5
and 6 ft. up. Mine seem to go for the lower ones.

Thanks for the instructions Om.

Glad I could help!

I got them from he
http://tinyurl.com/kfmd9

Do a google search using "dreamhouse greenhouse" and see if you can

find
one locally.

Looks great. Unfortunately not available locally. :-((

I wonder tho' if the promised free shipping on most sites that sell
these includes your location? :-)

I've got a gun licence and guns so that isn't a problem. I

suspect
that shooting Currawongs isn't allowed and a lead slug just makes

then
squark but............

Follow the 3S rule...... ;-)

Yes :-)) I was telling a friend that rule today in relation to a cat
problem she has.

Indeed... Works for most any "pest" iykwim??? G
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 30-09-2006, 03:32 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow writes:
But do you have any ideas for getting rid of currawongs? The mongrel
*******s eat smaller birds and I need my wrens for aphid patrols.

It's a good question, but I can't think of any legal methods for getting
rid of currawongs. Being native, they would be a protected species, too.
I expect the best you can do is to eliminate (or net) fruiting trees and
berry bushes, to feed your cats/dogs indoors so there is no leftover food
for the currawongs, the same goes if you put out food for birds, and to
put netting over all water sources so only the small birds can get in to
drink. Water sources include dripping garden taps, hoses, and even roof
gutters that are so warped they store water after showers or heavy dew.
Lawn sprinklers provide birds with drinking water, but as most of Oz is
in drought, I suppose you are not using lawn sprinklers, but if you are
maybe you could limit their use to nighttime?

Then when you've attended to all those measures on your property, do the
same at your neighbours' places for a mile around!

Currawongs typically nest high up in leafy trees, so your getting to their
nest is out of the question, usually.

snail repellent John Savage Gardening 28 30-09-2006 03:32 PM
snail repellent John Savage Australia 28 30-09-2006 03:32 PM
Snake repellent PacKat Gardening 8 03-06-2003 12:44 AM
Garter snake repellent? Monikka Lawns 3 04-04-2003 07:08 PM
Hot Sauce Insect Repellent? [email protected] Edible Gardening 3 09-03-2003 10:08 AM