Old 14-09-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Potatoes for next year

I planted potatoes in my garden this year, and they did rather well. I'd
like to save some of the smaller ones to grow next year, if I can. Can I
do that? What do I need to do?

Puckdropper

Old 14-09-2006, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Puckdropper said:

I planted potatoes in my garden this year, and they did rather well. I'd
like to save some of the smaller ones to grow next year, if I can. Can I
do that? What do I need to do?

Unless you have a big problem with mice and voles, put them out
where you want them to grow next year and cover them with a thick
layer of straw. Pull most of the straw off next spring. Or next spring,
transplant the ones you missed this year harvesting potatoes. (It *will*
happen.)

I've always had better results storing my potatoes in the ground out
in the garden under a heavy layer of straw than anywhere in the house,
even with the risk of mice getting to them.

(attributed to Don Marti)