Old 18-04-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Help with next year's garden

Hello!

I have just recently bought a condo with a fenced patio, and have been
enjoying landscaping the place a bit. I currently have two rose trees
in containers on the north wall, and they just aren't giving the look
I want. The growth is too "high" and leggy. I think this is partly
because of how the sun falls on that wall during the winter. There is
a section of the tree that gets light and warmth weeks before the rest
of it does, and those canes are much longer than the rest of the tree.
So, I am thinking that after this year I will rehome the trees with
friends, and replace them with rose bushes. So this is where you come
in!

What would people suggest for roses in containers, on a north wall, in
Southern California (Santa Clarita, a bit north of LA)? I'm looking
for something hardy, good fragrance, lavender or pink, and preferably
with a "columnar" look to it. The pots are flanking a 4-foot granite
pillar fountain, and so I am thinking a nice strong vertical look
would be good for the roses. I'd prefer repeat blooms, but that is
not an absolute necessity. Nothing sprawling, since one of these is
close to the walkway. Something that isn't really difficult to grow
would be wonderful, since this is my first try at gardening.

Having done some research, Portland roses seem like they might be a
possibility, but I'm wondering what other people think of them.

Rebecca
Old 18-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Theo Asir

La Reine is my best potted rose
with those attributes.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 18-04-2003, 04:08 PM

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:50:46 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

La Reine is my best potted rose
with those attributes.

Doing a fast google on "La Reine", I find Reine Victoria and La Reine
des Violettes. I assume you mean the second one?

Rebecca
Old 18-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo Asir

Nope! It's La Reine period.