Old 28-09-2006, 01:01 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Default Do you waste food?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:31:13 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

The cherry tomato plants I planted from seed in spring 2005 are still
bearing -- they lasted all winter. In case anybody cares, the orange
variety is sweeter than the red variety. Didn't get enough of the
yellow ones to tell.

I absolutely agree on your assessment of cherry tomatoes. A friend
gave me one of the orange ones a couple years ago and now I grow only
that kind.
Dawn, who recently compared them again to the red ones and the orange
are just better.
Old 28-09-2006, 03:51 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

I freeze whole tomatoes, and just put them in stews and such in the
winter, making sauces out of home grow tomatoes is an incredible waste
of time and energy, in my experience...

Old 29-09-2006, 03:32 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
Lou Lou is offline

wrote in message
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:26:06 -0700, James wrote:

I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

I'm letting mine rot. I have 36 plants which is an insane number, next
year I'll plant a lot fewer. My freezer is completely full of spaghetti
sauce, at least two years worth. I've given tomatoes away to friends and
coworkers. Now there is nothing left to do but let them rot.

Foodbank

If tomatoes weren't growing on that patch of ground, most likely it would be
lawn. Would you fret about wasting the lawn clippings? After all, they
could be used. Feeding them to goats or cows or rabbits (and in turn using
them for food) comes to mind, or using them in a methane digester (to
produce methane naturally, instead of burning natural gas), or composting
them and using the resulting humus elsewhere in the yard.

If you used more water and fertilizer and insecticides on the tomato plants
than you would have if the plot was part of your lawn, then it's a shame to
just let a lot of the crop rot away, but otherwise I don't think it's worth
a second thought. You've wasted a few bucks buying the seedlings (less if
you planted them from seed) but not enough to make a difference in your
life.

Chalk it up as a lesson, and next year plant what you need.

One year my father-in-law bought a dozen seedlings and gave them to me to
plant in the garden - they did extraordinarily well. That fall, just before
the first frost, I picked all the green ones, wrapped them individually in
newspaper, and put them in the spare room. They slowly ripened, and we had
"fresh" tomatoes for months. But they weren't as good as vine-ripened. I
never planted that many again.