Old 17-09-2006, 03:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Default Do you waste food?

I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

Old 17-09-2006, 11:41 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

On 16 Sep 2006 19:26:06 -0700, "James" wrote:

I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

I keep the tomatoes with flaws for myself, I don't mind cutting around
the bad spots. I give the perfect tomatoes to friends and co-workers
when I have extras.

You can buy a lot of good karma with a few home grown tomatoes.

Penelope
- "pointed"
Old 18-09-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:41:23 GMT, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

On 16 Sep 2006 19:26:06 -0700, "James" wrote:

I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

I keep the tomatoes with flaws for myself, I don't mind cutting around
the bad spots. I give the perfect tomatoes to friends and co-workers
when I have extras.

You can buy a lot of good karma with a few home grown tomatoes.

Penelope

With almost any home grown vegetables. Many of our extras go to the
local homeless shelter. They always seem to be delighted to get it.
--
Susan N.

Old 18-09-2006, 01:05 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article om,
"James" wrote:

I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

Why not make tomato sauce out of those extra tomatoes or give them to
friends, neighbors, or co-workers? My dad has been an avid gardener for
many years and he grows lots of tomatoes on purpose. After he gets a
bumper crop of tomatoes, what he doesn't eat or give away, he makes into
homemade tomato sauce which he stores in sterilized jars. The tomato
sauce costs next to nothing to make and it lasts him and my mom for
months.
Old 18-09-2006, 03:48 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

You could quarter them, and freeze them for cooking later.

Melissa

Old 19-09-2006, 12:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Melissa wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

You could quarter them, and freeze them for cooking later.

Melissa

Sauce/freeze/can
oven dry
dehydrate in a "normal" dehydrator
Smoke in a cold smoker until dry. (excellent, btw)

--
Steve
Old 26-09-2006, 09:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Karen Newton wrote:

Maybe you should get a juicer.

Or plant fewer plants next year. Or share with friends/ neighbors/
cow-orkers.

The cherry tomato plants I planted from seed in spring 2005 are still
bearing -- they lasted all winter. In case anybody cares, the orange
variety is sweeter than the red variety. Didn't get enough of the
yellow ones to tell.

I'm currently harvesting my basil seed. Next year I'm going to sow the
seed thickly in wallpaper trays and cut chunks of sod+seedlings to
transplant into DEEP pots. Based on this year's performance, basil
doesn't mind being crowded but loves being able to send its roots deep.
I'm also going to space the plantings out in order to get good leaves
over a longer period of time.

We'll get 'em next year.

James wrote:
I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

--
Ch rs,
B v
Old 26-09-2006, 09:46 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

snip

cow-orkers.

cow/pig hybrid?

Old 27-09-2006, 01:10 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:26:06 -0700, James wrote:

I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

I'm letting mine rot. I have 36 plants which is an insane number, next
year I'll plant a lot fewer. My freezer is completely full of spaghetti
sauce, at least two years worth. I've given tomatoes away to friends and
coworkers. Now there is nothing left to do but let them rot.

Old 27-09-2006, 03:16 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

talking 'bout food wastage.. just look at the way folks stack food up
at all ya can eat buffets and the wastage.

i wish it was like Singapore, where, in a buffet, they weigh the food
you have not eaten on your plate and make you pay extra proportionally.
!