Old 01-01-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New to vegetable gardening

Hi All--

I think 2007 is going to be the year i finally try a vegetable
garden---I'm a bit of a fanatic about hydrangeas and roses, and both
have done well without too much intervention from me.

My first question is this--I have a spot picked out for a veggie
garden, lots of sun, good drainage, etc...My intention is that while it
is still warm here in NJ (unbeilable, will still be in the 50's this
week!), I would like to turn the soil over. No problem with that,
right? Now, I have two pet bunnies....and I know i can use their
manure without a problem, no need to wait. Here is the question--they
are bedded with pine shavings (the kind you use for horses), and the
manure is mixed in. Any problem with adding this to the existing
soil????

thanks for your help--

betsey

Old 01-01-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

betsey wrote:
Hi All--

I think 2007 is going to be the year i finally try a vegetable
garden---I'm a bit of a fanatic about hydrangeas and roses, and both
have done well without too much intervention from me.

My first question is this--I have a spot picked out for a veggie
garden, lots of sun, good drainage, etc...My intention is that while it
is still warm here in NJ (unbeilable, will still be in the 50's this
week!), I would like to turn the soil over. No problem with that,
right? Now, I have two pet bunnies....and I know i can use their
manure without a problem, no need to wait. Here is the question--they
are bedded with pine shavings (the kind you use for horses), and the
manure is mixed in. Any problem with adding this to the existing
soil????

thanks for your help--

betsey

I'm certainly no expert but here's my two cents.

As for bunny crap, I wouldn't use it. I don't really know
why, I just wouldn't. I do use composted cow manure though.

The pine chips will probably add acidity to the soil which
can also be a problem.

I'd get composted cow manure and 'till that in, then check
the PH in the spring and adjust as necessary. If you don't
have the means to do a soil test, take a sample to your
local Cooperative Extension office and they'll do it for a
nominal fee and tell you what's needed.

--
Steve
Old 01-01-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

betsey wrote:
right? Now, I have two pet bunnies....and I know i can use their
manure without a problem, no need to wait. Here is the question--they
are bedded with pine shavings (the kind you use for horses), and the
manure is mixed in. Any problem with adding this to the existing
soil????

thanks for your help--

betsey

the bedding of my daughter's guinea pigs makes excellent compost. It is
pine shavings, bits of uneaten food and their manure. It appears to
have the proper ratio of green/brown because it composts quickly. don't
worry about acidity, it isn't. In fact, I tend to use it with greens,
which are fussy about compost quality.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1 Jan 2007 12:17:43 -0800, "betsey" wrote:

My first question is this--I have a spot picked out for a veggie
garden, lots of sun, good drainage, etc...My intention is that while it
is still warm here in NJ (unbeilable, will still be in the 50's this
week!), I would like to turn the soil over. No problem with that,
right? Now, I have two pet bunnies....and I know i can use their
manure without a problem, no need to wait. Here is the question--they
are bedded with pine shavings (the kind you use for horses), and the
manure is mixed in. Any problem with adding this to the existing
soil????

I've used bunny poo mixed with a corn cob bedding for years and it
works great! The pine shavings might not break down as easily,though,
so you might want to start a compost pile and pile the soiled bedding
there to let it work for 6 months or a year.

I've put mine straight in the garden and let it compost, and it worked
well both ways. If you put the bunny poops straight in the garden,
though, they will float like little coco puffs in heavy rains.

Penelope
- "pointed"
Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"betsey" wrote in message
My first question is this--I have a spot picked out for a veggie
garden, lots of sun, good drainage, etc...My intention is that while

it
is still warm here in NJ (unbeilable, will still be in the 50's this
week!), I would like to turn the soil over. No problem with that,
right? Now, I have two pet bunnies....and I know i can use their
manure without a problem, no need to wait. Here is the

question--they
are bedded with pine shavings (the kind you use for horses), and the
manure is mixed in. Any problem with adding this to the existing
soil????

No problem at all. Rabbit poo is excellent. And the manure will help
to break down the shavings and add humus to the soil. However, if I
was in your situation, I'd put it on top of the soil in a thickish
layer and leave it that way till spring arrives in your hemisphere and
then I'd dig it in.

The way I'd go from then onis to always have a bit of ground in the
preparation stage and put the new fresh bunny poo on that and leave it
to age for a while. I assume you also use it round the roses?? It'd
be good for them too.

Old 16-01-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Farm1 wrote:
"betsey" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the information everyone. Our soil here tends to have nice
top soil, but a clay base. so, i know i need to amend.

Old 24-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Registered User

I don't know if you'll find the answer to such detailed questions, but I just retrieved this email from my junk mail:

We all know organic produce is the healthy option and what better way for us to enjoy food, than fresh from our own gardens? That's why the team behind Grow Your Own has created Let's Grow Veg, an exciting new title that gives you everything you need to create your own vegetable plot - just plant your seeds and add water!

Be one of the first to get your hands on our totally different gardening magazine. Whether you’re a virgin veg grower or a hardcore allotmenteer the £8.99 package (complete with gifts worth over £30) is a must-have.

Filled with essential advice from leading experts such as Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh and Brigit Strawbridge, it features celebrity tips and recipes too. Each issue comes with 10 packets of Thompson & Morgan seeds; from tomatoes to courgettes – worth £16.95. It also contains coloured plant labels, a DVD worth £10, a handy planting wall-planner and opportunities to send away for more free gardening goodies.

Let’s Grow Veg shows you how to get started; how to plant out, nurture, harvest and even cook your own produce. It really is that simple - no complicated books, no guesswork, just step by-step-instructions - all in one handy bag.

Look out for Let's Grow Veg in leading supermarkets, or reserve your copy through the new Let's Grow Veg website:

Let's Grow Veg
www.letsgrowveg.com

Might be of helop?