Old 30-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Registered User

Smile Need help for new Vegtable garden

Hi Im new to this site and I am also new to planting fruit and Veg.
I ahve wanted to start growing a kitchen garden for some time now and have not had the guts to get it started.
I have a large garden that has taken years to get to where it is today I have boarders and large lawn that i would like to keep for my children.
I have a decking area which I would like to use for my vegtable planting,and I have an old bath that i was going to use,this year to start me off and to see if I was any good at it!
Im thinking of planting some beets,carorts,onions and brocolli.
What I would like to know from you experts is whether the bath I have is any good to use,and what tips could you give me when getting soil etc to fill it.
Your help would be great as Im really looking forward to eating my own grown vegtables.
thanks
Old 30-01-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Need help for new Vegtable garden

g'day iwantveg,

baths make good worm farms.

not sure how well they would drain once there is growing medium in
them, but if you lay a layer of rubble/gravel in the bottom first then
cover that with some old flyscreen type mesh (to stop the medium from
packing down into the rubble which is there to aid drainage.

then you couild us anything to start filling and using it ie.,.
msuhroom compost, humus or anby pretty much composted material would
suggest soil as it could compact, don't forget to add some worms in as
you will still need them.

come visit us andsee how we do things.

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:08:06 +0000, iwantveg
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len