Old 02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Registered User

Question Vegetables

I am doing some modifications to my garden by introducing a small orchard as reported in the previous thread.
I also intend to make a small vegetable patch and would seek advice on the preparation needs of the ground from lawn.?
I also intend to grow potatoes, which are the best tubers to buy ?
What other vegetables come in tubers ?
Is it successful to grow from seed,I was thinking of Beetroot,carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, onions,peppers,cucumber, lettuce, courgettes, tomatoes and the like such or is it to much of a gamble.?
As there is only my wife and I, what size of area would be needed, I realise it would depend on the types of vegetables, but approximate will be a start.
All help will be appreciated
We live in the North West of England, but the weather like other places in the UK seems to be getting warmer
Finally, I hope this does not breach the rules of the forum, but who are the best suppliers to go to for purchase in the UK ?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Fruit Trees

Gringo wrote:
I am in the throes of replanting 4 existing 5/6 feet high fruit trees
which will form part of an 8 tree orchard, I would be very grateful for
advice on the additional 4 trees which I intend to purchase .
The trees which will be replanted are, Apple,Pear, Apricot and Plum, I
was tempted to go for , Grape, Peach,Cherry and Blackberry, are these
only bush type or can you get a type which would be a climber, say onto
a stout stake.
Please excuse my ignorance but I am experimenting in my older age
Very important I live in the North West of England,however we have over
the past couple of years enjoyed like other places a change in climate

Grape is a vine and climbs, blackberries are brambles, some climb, some
are upright. All the rest are fruit trees. Many of which require a
pollenator. HTH

George

Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gringo wrote:

I am in the throes of replanting 4 existing 5/6 feet high fruit trees
which will form part of an 8 tree orchard, I would be very grateful for
advice on the additional 4 trees which I intend to purchase .
The trees which will be replanted are, Apple,Pear, Apricot and Plum, I
was tempted to go for , Grape, Peach,Cherry and Blackberry, are these
only bush type or can you get a type which would be a climber, say onto
a stout stake.

I would strongly recommend you make certain you have at least
two of each type of tree for pollination. I like cherry trees.
If you want to plant bushes, consider varieties of Blueberry
(again you will want two of each variety for pollination). You
can purchase varieties of Blueberry that will bear fruit at
different times of the season. With Blueberries, you need bird
netting so that you don't share the berries with the birds.

Dick
Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dick Adams wrote:

Gringo wrote:

I am in the throes of replanting 4 existing 5/6 feet high fruit trees
which will form part of an 8 tree orchard

I would be very grateful for
advice on the additional 4 trees which I intend to purchase .
The trees which will be replanted are, Apple,Pear, Apricot and Plum, I
was tempted to go for , Grape, Peach,Cherry and Blackberry, are these
only bush type or can you get a type which would be a climber, say onto
a stout stake.

I would strongly recommend you make certain you have at least
two of each type of tree for pollination.

Actually, this is not a good rule to follow. For good pollination, it is
better
to have a suitable variety which is not of the same type. This will work
better
than two trees of the same variety. Some people claim two identical tree
varieties
work better than one, others not, but genearly going with different
varieties will
give the best effect. Since the original postor has limited space, he
would benefit more from a complete mix of varietites. He has to be careful
in
his selections however, as some fruit trees are not pollinators for others.
It takes
a bit of research.

I would however recommend some kind of dwarfing tree, as it is much easier
to maintain,
yields fruit sooner, and generally gives plenty of fruit, especially for one
person. Seems
like the grapes and/or blackberries don't need an orchard setting and can be
planted
alongside his house, garage, etc. If he has four nice fruit bearing trees,
I would not
take them out, unless the varieties are not suitable for him.

Sherwin D.

I like cherry trees.
If you want to plant bushes, consider varieties of Blueberry
(again you will want two of each variety for pollination). You
can purchase varieties of Blueberry that will bear fruit at
different times of the season. With Blueberries, you need bird
netting so that you don't share the berries with the birds.

Dick

Too much fertilizer makes vegetables poisonous? Tony Edible Gardening 8 26-10-2003 01:12 AM
glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
vegetables - When to plant? Lori Hurt Texas 0 27-03-2003 09:44 AM
vegetables - When to plant? dt Texas 1 24-03-2003 02:44 PM
Request for Recommendations: Book on Vegetables Neil Trotter United Kingdom 9 29-01-2003 11:36 PM