Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Potatoes

We've got about 8 potatoes that have rather large eyes on them. They're
ready to be planted, but there's a few problems I've run into. First,
I'm in northern Indiana, so planting anything right now with the snow
cover and frostline is probably out of the question. Second, I'm
planning on moving about June, that's not enough time for potatoes, is
it?

Any suggestions on what I can do to not let these guys go to waste? (Eat
'em faster the next time, I know.) How much room do the potatoes need
underground to grow?

Puckdropper

Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
We've got about 8 potatoes that have rather large eyes on them. They're
ready to be planted, but there's a few problems I've run into. First,
I'm in northern Indiana, so planting anything right now with the snow
cover and frostline is probably out of the question. Second, I'm
planning on moving about June, that's not enough time for potatoes, is
it?

Any suggestions on what I can do to not let these guys go to waste? (Eat
'em faster the next time, I know.) How much room do the potatoes need
underground to grow?

5 months? thats enough time. Not sure they will grow well in frosty ground.
Try growing them in containers in a sunny sheltered area. You can take them
with you if not quite done by then.

rob

Old 14-02-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 12, 3:27 am, Puckdropper wrote:
We've got about 8 potatoes that have rather large eyes on them. They're
ready to be planted, but there's a few problems I've run into. First,
I'm in northern Indiana, so planting anything right now with the snow
cover and frostline is probably out of the question. Second, I'm
planning on moving about June, that's not enough time for potatoes, is
it?

Any suggestions on what I can do to not let these guys go to waste? (Eat
'em faster the next time, I know.) How much room do the potatoes need
underground to grow?

you could give it a spin. Plant them in late march, after having
solarized the soil with plastic for the whole month to make it ready.
Then if late frosts don't get them, there will be small potatoes by
the end of june. I pick mine in July anyway, Ann Arbor area.

Puckdropper

Old 19-02-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 12, 9:27 pm, Puckdropper wrote:
We've got about 8 potatoes that have rather large eyes on them. They're
ready to be planted, but there's a few problems I've run into. First,
I'm in northern Indiana, so planting anything right now with the snow
cover and frostline is probably out of the question. Second, I'm
planning on moving about June, that's not enough time for potatoes, is
it?

Any suggestions on what I can do to not let these guys go to waste? (Eat
'em faster the next time, I know.) How much room do the potatoes need
underground to grow?

Puckdropper

Hello
Im from north new zealand, its usually good potatoe growing weather
all year round but i can help you to grow potatoes in such a cold
climate, try stacking up to rubber tyres and filling them with a rich
fertilizer, growing your potatoes in rubber tyres keeps the soil
generally warmer then under the snow!!!, this way works really well we
grow alot of potatoes. Its not a hard thing to grow but they taste
delicious with heaps of butter!