Old 24-03-2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
J. J. is offline

Default Storage Shed for Keeping the Harvest?

It's barely spring and already I'm planing how to preserve this year's
bounty. The question is, in late summer or early autumn I plan to build
an 8x12 outdoor shed and aside from the snow blower and all the other
gack that will live there, I've been wondering whether this uninsulated
building could serve as an impromptu root cellar as well. If so, what
might I need to build-in in terms of insulated boxes, trays, etc. for
this to be effective and worthwhile? I live in Zone 5a, just north of
New York City. I grow lots of onion family members, various root
vegetables, squash. (The tomatoes never last long enough to even
contemplate saving, except for making and freezing sauce.) I seem to be
one of those folks whose potatoes, garlic and onions either sprout or
shrivel up entirely depending on which part of the basement I try to
keep them in.

Thanks,

J.

Water Chestnuts; harvest and storage terryc Australia 1 26-05-2009 09:42 AM
Floor Kit for Storage Shed Greg Lawns 11 30-07-2003 04:24 PM
Bareroot Stawberry plant storage Tim B Edible Gardening 6 26-03-2003 09:08 PM
Transport, storage, and planting of large trees in winter Dave Lawns 0 02-03-2003 01:40 PM
Using water as thermal storage in cold frame Trace Curry Edible Gardening 8 18-02-2003 06:03 AM