Old 26-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Greg

Default Floor Kit for Storage Shed

The wife and I were at Lowe's tonight. They had a decent metal storage shed
on sale. The add said it also had a floor kit for sale along with the shed.
What is the floor kit? Would it be better to pour a slab and build the shed
on that? Or would the kit be easier?

And on a totally unrelated subject. We are going to stain and water seal our
privacy fence. Any suggestion on the brand to use?

Thanks,
Greg

Old 26-07-2003, 07:32 PM

"Greg" wrote:
The wife and I were at Lowe's tonight. They had a decent metal storage
shed on sale. The add said it also had a floor kit for sale along with
the shed. What is the floor kit? Would it be better to pour a slab and
build the shed on that? Or would the kit be easier?

A floor kit is nothing more than a few treated 4x4's and some plywood.

Cement is -much- better.

--
GO# 40
Old 28-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
Cement is -much- better.

True-- but for a metal building you buy as a kit from Lowes, it's probably
way overkill.

-Tim

Old 28-07-2003, 11:32 AM

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
wrote in message
Cement is -much- better.

True-- but for a metal building you buy as a kit from Lowes, it's
probably way overkill.

-Tim

Not if you intend on living there for a while, besides I
like overkill.

--
GO# 40
Old 28-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Victor Grund

wrote in message
"Tim Fischer" wrote:
Cement is -much- better.

True-- but for a metal building you buy as a kit from Lowes, it's
probably way overkill.

Not if you intend on living there for a while, besides I
like overkill.

Do you mean it's affordable housing, or a place to go if your wife kicks you
out?

Old 28-07-2003, 01:42 PM

"Victor Grund" wrote:
wrote in message
"Tim Fischer" wrote:
Cement is -much- better.

True-- but for a metal building you buy as a kit from Lowes, it's
probably way overkill.

Not if you intend on living there for a while, besides I
like overkill.

Do you mean it's affordable housing, or a place to go if your wife kicks
you out?

DOH! I walked right into that one.

--
GO# 40
Old 29-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
Not if you intend on living there for a while, besides I
like overkill.

My point (which I should have made more clear) is that a cheap, metal
building isn't going to last long enough to justify such a nice foundation.
Of course, you could always put up a real shed on the same slab in a few
years once the metal building needs replacing grin

-Tim

Old 29-07-2003, 05:12 PM

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
wrote in message
Not if you intend on living there for a while, besides I
like overkill.

My point (which I should have made more clear) is that a cheap, metal
building isn't going to last long enough to justify such a nice
foundation. Of course, you could always put up a real shed on the same
slab in a few years once the metal building needs replacing grin

-Tim

True enuff, Tim. A real shed with crete is the best way to go. However,
if you can keep the steel one's high and dry with crete, they last
much longer..

--
GO# 40
Old 29-07-2003, 10:03 PM

First, I would stay away from steel sheds, especially if there's a lot
of shade and moisture which = rust. As far as the floor goes, The
easiest way to build a shed is to use sonotubes filled with cement
maybe 6" above the ground line, then build a treated lumber bottom.
Decent pressure treated wood is upoosed to last 40 years, and even if
it's only 30 who cares? PITA to mix that cement to fill those tubes
and dig them in beforehand... but it makes for a nice stable base,
especially if you float some plate bolts up through the topside.

Another thing to consider is your local zoning issues. The minute you
have a real foundation of sorts (i.e. a concrete slab) you might have
size, location, and construction issues that wouldn't be a problem
building it the classic way.

Mike

Old 30-07-2003, 04:24 PM

Yup, our town has specific rules on sheds, including how close they
can be to a neighbor's property, the construction of them, and sizes
relative to closeness to neighbors... all sorts of goofy things.

They haven't gone as far as requiring permits for dishes, and there
are some people with those older 8-10 footers around here. I don't
know what planet they are getting, 'cause the little ones usually work
fine and we have digital underground cable and broadband so its
unecessary for a big dish.

You can try to get away without the permit, but if you have a crummy
neighbor ( I have one), he can rat you out to the town.

Mike

On 29 Jul 2003 23:47:39 GMT, wrote:

wrote:
Another thing to consider is your local zoning issues. The minute you
have a real foundation of sorts (i.e. a concrete slab) you might have
size, location, and construction issues that wouldn't be a problem
building it the classic way.

Mike

Don't tell, unless you have to. Those talking heads consider it an
improvement, and may eventually raise your property tax.

Btw..most towns require permits for anything, including satelite dish's.

Your milage may vary..

Old 30-07-2003, 04:24 PM

wrote:
Another thing to consider is your local zoning issues. The minute you
have a real foundation of sorts (i.e. a concrete slab) you might have
size, location, and construction issues that wouldn't be a problem
building it the classic way.

Mike

Don't tell, unless you have to. Those talking heads consider it an
improvement, and may eventually raise your property tax.

Btw..most towns require permits for anything, including satelite dish's.

Your milage may vary..

Storage Shed for Keeping the Harvest? J. Edible Gardening 0 24-03-2007 09:48 PM
May Vanda roots touch the floor? [email protected] Orchids 6 27-08-2003 08:22 AM
greenhouse floor david United Kingdom 1 06-06-2003 10:44 PM
how to sustain a good C02 rate with cold floor? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
how to sustain a good C02 rate with cold floor? Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-03-2003 11:20 AM