Old 30-04-2007, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Heating Seeds On Fridge?

I have been procrastinating about starting from seeds. But there
is no time like the present. Especially inspired by the recent
thread about it.

Anyway, I have seen some people talk about heating pads. But,
would it work OK to just put the the seed tray on top of the
refrigerator?

It is getting towards winter here, in another month. And I only
heat the room where I am personally located. It can get rather
cold in the kitchen at night.

Note that, my local climate is OK for spinach, broccoli, etc, to
go outside during winter. They just grow slow.

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 30-04-2007, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

wrote:
I have been procrastinating about starting from seeds. But there
is no time like the present. Especially inspired by the recent
thread about it.

Anyway, I have seen some people talk about heating pads. But,
would it work OK to just put the the seed tray on top of the
refrigerator?

It is getting towards winter here, in another month. And I only
heat the room where I am personally located. It can get rather
cold in the kitchen at night.

Note that, my local climate is OK for spinach, broccoli, etc, to
go outside during winter. They just grow slow.

Thanks...

The best results I've ever had was this year when I took some
unusually-hard-to-sprout pepper seeds to work, planted in a Tupperware
container and put them on the back of my computer monitor during the
days. I took them off at night and removed the lids and let them cool
off and breathe. I got almost 100% germination in about a week and the
seedlings are now strong and healthy. Last year the same seeds took
almost a month to get maybe 10% germination and the seedlings were weak
not a single one survived. The bottom heat was the only difference.

On top of the fridge is probably pretty good; it depends where the
condenser coils are.

Bob

Last year I got about a 50% germination rate on all seeds when I put
them in a drawer under our water bed. This year with a hot pad and grow
lights I'm getting about a 90% germination rate. Different plants have
different needs.
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 30-04-2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote in news:59lbftF2j2tvaU1
@mid.individual.net:

The best results I've ever had was this year when I took some
unusually-hard-to-sprout pepper seeds to work, planted in a Tupperware
container and put them on the back of my computer monitor during the
days. I took them off at night and removed the lids and let them cool
off and breathe. I got almost 100% germination in about a week and the
seedlings are now strong and healthy. Last year the same seeds took
almost a month to get maybe 10% germination and the seedlings were weak
not a single one survived. The bottom heat was the only difference.

Funny you should mention that. When I make no-knead bread I put it on my
computer monitor to rise -- works like a charm.
Old 30-04-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

:

The best results I've ever had was this year when I took some
unusually-hard-to-sprout pepper seeds to work, planted in a Tupperware
container and put them on the back of my computer monitor during the
days. I took them off at night and removed the lids and let them cool
off and breathe. I got almost 100% germination in about a week and the
seedlings are now strong and healthy. Last year the same seeds took
almost a month to get maybe 10% germination and the seedlings were weak
not a single one survived. The bottom heat was the only difference.

Funny you should mention that. When I make no-knead bread I put it on my
computer monitor to rise -- works like a charm.

Dang, cain't do thet nohow on flat screen...

Mebbe heating pad on low setting?

Persephone

Old 30-04-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

zxcvbob wrote in news:59lbftF2j2tvaU1
:

The best results I've ever had was this year when I took some
unusually-hard-to-sprout pepper seeds to work, planted in a
Tupperware container and put them on the back of my computer monitor
during the days. I took them off at night and removed the lids and
let them cool off and breathe. I got almost 100% germination in
about a week and the seedlings are now strong and healthy. Last
year the same seeds took almost a month to get maybe 10% germination
and the seedlings were weak not a single one survived. The bottom
heat was the only difference.

Funny you should mention that. When I make no-knead bread I put it on
my computer monitor to rise -- works like a charm.

Dang, cain't do thet nohow on flat screen...

Mebbe heating pad on low setting?

Persephone

For the seeds or the bread?

I've heard of people using that for seeds.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...seeds, I guess. Never made no-knead bread.
A friend of mine used a bread machine, but I don't know if that
qualifies for "no-knead".

BTW - the Chinese, who were way ahead of us on much* --
the peasants channeled the heat from their household fires into pipes
that ran under the ground and provided nice heat for germinating
seeds.

* of course they're STILL ahead of us on environmental pollution,
summary executions, imprisonment for free speech/writing,
and now contaminated pet food. There were recently articles in the
media about how that plastic waste melamine had been used to bulk up
"protein" for years to unwitting users in China itself. One can see
how they could get away with it in a totalitarian state, but it's
hard to excuse exporting this stuff to the U.S.

Hard? Not at all! The ******* Administration has CUT the FDA
inspection resources, while we are importing four times as much
food as in the past. (Foreign food exporters laugh behind their hands,
knowing how easy it is to dump bad food in the U.S. because of the
dearth of inspection resources.)

Somehow that equation doesn't work out. But wait! It is more
important -- rather than adequately fund the FDA -- to use our money
to kill our soldiers in Iraq, kill innocent Iraqui civilians, AND
enrich the Halliburton-type contractors as well as our
private mercenary armies** doing business Over There.

**Which number almost as many as the "official" army figures
quoted by the Pentagon.

Persephone

Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote in message
I have been procrastinating about starting from seeds. But there
is no time like the present. Especially inspired by the recent
thread about it.

Anyway, I have seen some people talk about heating pads. But,
would it work OK to just put the the seed tray on top of the
refrigerator?

I use the top of the fridge, but lighting might be a problem. Give it a try
and see what develops.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Dwayne wrote:
wrote in message
I have been procrastinating about starting from seeds. But there
is no time like the present. Especially inspired by the recent
thread about it.

Anyway, I have seen some people talk about heating pads. But,
would it work OK to just put the the seed tray on top of the
refrigerator?

I use the top of the fridge, but lighting might be a problem. Give it a try
and see what develops.

As soon as you see the first sprout, you can move them to good lighting;
they don't need the bottom heat anymore.

Bob

Old 01-05-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

I start my tomato and pepper seeds placed in a piece of damp paper
towel placed in a small Baggie and put on my cable box. After about
three days or four days, they've begun sprouting and then I plant them
in starting mix. They've always been successful this way. Even if
the little sprout has grown into the paper I just leave that little
piece and plant it with the sprout in it.

Ceil Wallace

Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 10:55 pm, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
I have been procrastinating about starting from seeds. But there
is no time like the present. Especially inspired by the recent
thread about it.

Anyway, I have seen some people talk about heating pads. But,
would it work OK to just put the the seed tray on top of the
refrigerator?

It is getting towards winter here, in another month. And I only
heat the room where I am personally located. It can get rather
cold in the kitchen at night.

Note that, my local climate is OK for spinach, broccoli, etc, to
go outside during winter. They just grow slow.

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Duehttp://www.cardreport.com/
Credit Tools, Reference, and Forum

It never occurred to me to use the top of the refrigerator! The cat
used to like it up there when it could get up that high in his younger
years. A great idea for us to try next season. In the sunny south we
are already out in the field and greenhouse with most plants. temps
in the high 80s today.

my first post to this group.
I am really glad I found you!

Thanks for a TON of ideas.