Old 06-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Dianne van Dulken

Default tulip bulbs in the fridge?

Hi,

My mother claims that to get your tulips to germinate properly, you
should put your bulbs in the fridge for at least 6 weeks before
planting. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it complete ********?

I've got mine in the fridge at the moment, but they have only been
there for about 3 days, and they are taking up valuable room. Should
I just ignore her?

Cheers

Di
--
Dianne van Dulken
http://www.dogmac.com

See Adara's page - http://www.dogmac.com/adara/
or Bartholomew's - http://www.dogmac.com/bartholomew/

Old 06-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Dwayne

I have always planted my bulbs without refrigeration. I never even heard
that they should be refrigerated. I know some plants/seeds (in fact most of
them) need some "chill" hours for them to do well, but I am in an area that
provides them while they are in the ground. How cold does it get there?

Good luck and have fun. Dwayne

Old 07-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Andrew

Dianne van Dulken wrote:

Hi,

My mother claims that to get your tulips to germinate properly, you
should put your bulbs in the fridge for at least 6 weeks before
planting. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it complete ********?

I've got mine in the fridge at the moment, but they have only been
there for about 3 days, and they are taking up valuable room. Should
I just ignore her?

Cheers

Di

It's not about getting them to break dormancy. It's about
getting them to flower. Tulips like a cold spell to initiate
flower production. Putting the bulbs in the crisper for 4-6
weeks prior to planting will simulate this. If your area is
sufficiently cold in winter you may be able to get away
without refridgerating and still get good flower production.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 AM
alwynne mackie

Basically it depends where you live.
Tulips are a cold climate bulb and require cold winters to do well. In
Melbourne and similar or milder climates you really need to simulate the
desired conditions by cooling them down in the fridge crisper dish (NOT the
freezer), wrapped in paper, not plastic, for 6 weeks. This tricks them into
thinking they are in the right climate.
Good luck!
Alwynne

Old 08-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Lorraine Holloway

Dianne, if you read up any of the brochures from, for example, Bulb Express,
who are the Mail Order kings of bulbs, you will find that it is the correct
procedure. If you want to have sucessful tulips, do as your mother tells
you.

"Dianne van Dulken" wrote in message
Hi,

My mother claims that to get your tulips to germinate properly, you
should put your bulbs in the fridge for at least 6 weeks before
planting. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it complete ********?

I've got mine in the fridge at the moment, but they have only been
there for about 3 days, and they are taking up valuable room. Should
I just ignore her?

Cheers

Di
--
Dianne van Dulken
http://www.dogmac.com
http://www.cricketwoman.com

See Adara's page - http://www.dogmac.com/adara/
or Bartholomew's - http://www.dogmac.com/bartholomew/

Time to plant tulip bulbs? dommy Gardening 2 24-09-2003 08:12 PM
Aldi - 99p Tulip Bulbs dommy United Kingdom 3 17-09-2003 08:15 AM
Tulip bulbs michael2 United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 02:32 PM
Where do I buy Tulip bulbs from? dommy United Kingdom 11 25-06-2003 08:31 PM
tulip bulbs Gardening 1 14-03-2003 02:32 PM