Old 08-05-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default Anyone tried Drip Spikes?

We have to go on vacation. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.gardeners.com/Precision-D...ing.35-140.cpd

My mother-in-law will be checking in on the house while we're gone (1
week). Would these work well. I'm thinking it might be easier to
fill the bottle instead of standing there watering the garden.

We have a very small garden - 4 tomatos, 2 peppers.

It looks like I would need 1 for each individual plant.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sam wrote:
We have to go on vacation. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.gardeners.com/Precision-D...ing.35-140.cpd

My mother-in-law will be checking in on the house while we're gone (1
week). Would these work well. I'm thinking it might be easier to
fill the bottle instead of standing there watering the garden.

We have a very small garden - 4 tomatos, 2 peppers.

It looks like I would need 1 for each individual plant.

I use a similar setup to water my tomatoes using 1 litre long neck
plastic bottles cut off at the top with pin holes in the neck. It's good
for tomatoes in particular because you're filling up the bottle and not
splashing the soil up on the leaves. I find one bottle full a day in my
tomato containers is adequate. If your tomatoes are in the ground, I'd
give it a good watering before you go and have your MIL fill up the
bottles as much as possible.

The other solution (no good for my tomatoes in containers) is a soaker
hose on a timer. 90% of my veggies are watered this way. They get
watered in shifts so that only four beds at a time (100' of soaker) is
using at a time. Great to ensure early morning waterings when I'm
usually counting sheep.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.